Subject: [gaia] Where Cellular Networks Don’t Exist, People Are Building Their Own

From: Marco Zennaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:38:16 +0100

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/diy-cellular-phone-networks-mexico/

Best,
Marco

Marco Zennaro, PhD
Telecommunications / ICT for Development Laboratory
the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11
34014 Trieste
Italy

Telephone:	+39 040 2240 406
Web:	         	http://wireless.ictp.it

---

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 10:12:43 -0400

Hi Marco,

A gentle reminder of Matthew Ford's plea for some context along with any
urls posted.

What is most interesting for me about Rhizomatica a the moment and which is
not covered in the article, is the fact that they have managed to get the
regulator to allocate 2x5MHz (2x2.5MHz in some cases) of mobile spectrum
(850MHz band) as primary spectrum offering the right for non-profits to
offer telecom and broadcast services that have cultural, scientific,
educational or community objectives.  This is absolutely huge news.
Primary spectrum for rural GSM initiatives.  I suspect there are VERY few
regulators in Africa that could not squeeze 10MHz out of their 900MHz band
assignments.

Here is the news story (in Spanish)
http://www.zocalo.com.mx/seccion/articulo/ifetel-determina-las-frecuencias-y-bandas-que-se-licitaran-en-2015-14192825

Propagating this as a regulatory strategy could unleash pent-up markets for
low-cost GSM startups like Range, Endaga, Fairwaves, and others.

Cheers... Steve

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Marco Zennaro <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>