Subject: [gaia] The 1st International Workshop on Future Internet Architecture for Developing Regions (FI4D)

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 08:12:12 +0100

some of us are organising this - very relevant to GAIA - pl consider
submitting..

Regards

================================================================
Call for Papers
The 1st International Workshop on Future Internet Architecture (FI4D) 2016,
9 January 2016, Las Vegas, USA
Held in conjunction with IEEE CCNC 2016
*https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~al773/ccnc_fi4d.html
<https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~al773/ccnc_fi4d.html>*
================================================================

Scope
==========

Information Centric Networking (ICN) has emerged as a promising paradigm
for shaping the Future Internet (FI) architectures. ICN moves from the
host-centric to the information-centric networking in order to decouple the
delivery of contents from their original locations. With that, the
opportunity arises to fetch contents and services from
virtually everywhere, including pushing the information closer to the end
user. The latter aspect allows for optimizing bandwidth utilization and
improving the service availability, especially in challenged network
environments. Particular ICN aspects that facilitate such optimization are,
among others, the support for in-networking caching, the naming of content
while only creating temporary relationships between those providing and
those asking for content, the potential to utilize multipath communication
and supporting native multicast delivery (due to the spatial and temporary
decoupling of publishers and receivers).

In most developing regions, residential Internet access is considerably
less affordable due to the experienced income levels. People living in
rural communities of these regions either suffer from lacking of Internet
access or poor Internet connectivity. This has led to limited opportunity
for rural communities to connect to the world and has significantly
caused a digital divide. The advantages offered by ICN along with wireless
access and distribution technologies (TV White Spaces, satellite
communications or Wi-Fi based long distance networks) introduce potential
to improve the Internet connectivity in developing regions aiming at
minimizing the cost of Internet deployment and potentially
allowing commodity hardware to be an alternative. Furthermore, the recent
arising of localized communication approaches, e.g., community networks and
do-it-yourself networking (DIY) also bring benefits on providing a low cost
solution for network deployment. With the efficient content delivery in ICN
and practical low cost solutions, these capabilities will
leverage affordable broadband Internet for the developing regions.

The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

* ICN architecture design and evaluation

* Facilitation of IP-based services of ICN deployments

* Use of wireless access technologies for development such as TV White
Spaces, satellite communications or Wi-Fi based long distance networks

* Caching solutions, particularly for edge network caching

* Named based routing

* Privacy, security and trust for Future Internet architectures

* Localized communication networks

* Applications and services for developing regions

* Future Internet economics and business models

* Deployment and trial experiences of ICN systems

Please visit *https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~al773/instruction.html
<https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~al773/instruction.html>*, for more details about
submission.

Important Dates
=========================
Submission Deadline: September 6, 2015
Notification: October 6, 2015
Camera Ready: November 2, 2015

Organising Committee
=========================
Dirk Trossen (Interdigital, UK)
Email: [email-masked]

Andrés Arcia-Moret (University of Cambridge, UK)
Email: [email-masked]

Adisorn Lertsinsrubtavee (University of Cambridge, UK)
Email: [email-masked]

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d