Subject: [gaia] Fwd: ACM DEV Submission Deadline Extension - July 19th, 11:59pm

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 20:05:45 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Jay Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jul 2015 20:03
Subject: ACM DEV Submission Deadline Extension - July 19th, 11:59pm
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc:

 *Submission Deadline Extension: Sunday, July 19, 11:59pm PST*

 ------------------------------

ACM DEV-6, November 30 – December 2, 2015

London, England

 Call for Papers

DEV 2015 provides an international forum for research in the design,
implementation, and evaluation of information and communication
technologies (ICTs) for social and economic development. In particular, we
focus on contexts where conventional computing solutions are often
inappropriate due to various contextual factors - including, but not
limited to: cost, language, literacy, and the availability of power and
bandwidth.

The topic of ICT for development is inherently multidisciplinary, and
encompasses a broad array of fields within the computer science
discipline.  The ACM DEV conference is an opportunity for researchers
across these diverse fields of computer science to come together to work on
the common problem of improving access to and availability of information
and communication technology solutions.  In an effort to encourage
participation of researchers across the relevant domains, this year the DEV
conference introduces submissions “tracks”.  The focus of the conference is
research at the interface of computer science and development related to
(but not limited to) the following three non-exclusive focus areas:

·         Systems

·         HCI and Applications

·         Data Science

We are committed to accepting papers of the very highest quality on the
interface between computer science and development. Authors can designate a
paper for one or two of these focus areas. Each area has dedicated Program
Committee (PC) members to allow appropriate review of papers. Papers will
be automatically referred to another track or reviewed by PC members from
different tracks where appropriate. The conference itself will have
sessions grouped by topic rather than by area. Example topics within focus
areas include:

*Systems Track*

   - Low-cost connectivity and computing devices
   - Network solutions for poorly connected regions, including white space
   spectrum
   - Power-efficient systems
   - Mobile systems and applications
   - Special-purpose systems, e.g., sensors, wireless, IVR
   - Systems challenges and opportunities in development, e.g., security,
   sustainability, resilience
   - Cellular phone systems and applications
   - Novel tools and applications for development
   - Measurements of existing technology in developing regions (e.g.
   network deployments)

*HCI Track*

   - User interfaces for low-literacy populations
   - Multi-lingual computing
   - User interfaces for low-cost devices
   - Participatory methods and user-centered design
   - Accessibility to disabled populations in developing regions
   - Design and evaluation of applications in health, microfinance,
   education, agriculture, entertainment, social media
   - Adapting content and applications to local languages and education
   levels
   - Understanding social relationships and information flows in
   disadvantaged societies

*Data Science Track*

   - Computational sustainability
   - Computational social science
   - Econometric models and developmental economics
   - Data science for social good
   - Machine learning techniques for large-scale data analysis
   in development contexts
   - Speech interfaces and translation for low-resource languages
   - Computer vision challenges and opportunities in development
   - Understanding social networks and digital media in developing regions

*General Track*

We welcome papers outside of the above topics that address the DEV focus on
computing innovations supporting social and economic development.

Papers should describe original and previously unpublished research. Three
metrics will be applied to judge the submissions: (a) Relevance of the
problem for development; (b) Novelty of the ideas; (c) Evaluation of the
solution, making a case for development-focused impact. All DEV paper
submissions should either provide or directly motivate a novel technical
solution that has direct implications for development.

Full papers must not exceed 9 pages and all submissions must be in ACM
format <http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates>,
submitted as a PDF. Submissions should be fully anonymized. In particular,
the names or affiliations of authors should not be included so as to allow
for blind review.  Papers should be submitted via the submission site
<http://papers.acmdev.org/>.  As part of the submission process, please
indicate one or more tracks for which your submission is best suited.

*New: Short Papers on Practical Experiences*

This year ACM DEV introduces a “short paper” submissions track to target
practical field and/or deployment experience, as well as updates or
follow-ups to previously published work, and interesting negative results.
Short papers should be 2 pages in length, and should convey work or
conclusions that are a direct result of field experience.  Papers accepted
into the short paper track will be presented in the conference, but will
not appear in the conference proceedings.  It is hoped that these papers
will foster sharing of best practices and/or lessons learned as well as
serve as interesting points for discussion during the conference.  We
particularly encourage submissions from practitioners, NGOs, and others
with field experience.  Note that these short papers are not posters, but
are presentations.

*Important Dates:*

*NEW Submission Deadline: July 19, 2015 - 11:59pm (PST)*
Acceptance Notification: September 15, 2015
Conference: November 30 – December 2, 2015 (London, UK)

 http://acmdev.org/