Subject: [gaia] Fwd: Data for Humanity: A Request for Support.

From: Melissa Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:25:51 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: roberto zicari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 9:59 AM
Subject: Data for Humanity: A Request for Support.

 *Data for Humanity: A Request for Support.*

hope you are well.

We are reaching out to you to ask for your support for this initiative.

We feel the need to link together people who share the common motivation of
using Data for the Common Good and for Human Wellbeing.

Below is an open letter that details the overall goal and the principles
that we find important to be implemented by researchers, educators, as well
as public and private stakeholders that own/ have access to Data and use
Data analytics.

If you share the overall goal and the five principles listed below, *please
sign it: http://www.bigdata.uni-frankfurt.de/dataforhumanity/
<http://www.bigdata.uni-frankfurt.de/dataforhumanity/>*

Among the current signatories of this initiative:

*Vint Cerf* one of "the fathers of the Internet"; three members of the
Independent Expert Advisory Group to the United Nations Secretary-General
on a Data Revolution for Sustainable Development (IEAG): *Professor Alex
Pentland (MIT), Mr. Robert Kirkpatrick (UN Global Pulse), and Professor
Enrico Giovannini (co-chair).*

If we receive over 1,000 signatures, then the initiators of this letter
will consider the possibility to create an organization: Data for Humanity,
or alternatively to seek for an existing organisation interested in our
initiative and willing to include it in their activities.

Data for Humanity will aim to raise awareness of the principles in the
context of the use/access of data, facilitate exchange between people and
organizations who share the goal and the principles, and support data
initiatives that are dedicated to these principles around the world.

For any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Feel free to forward this note to colleagues who may be interested to
support this initiative.

Best Regards

Professor Roberto V. Zicari, Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany

Professor Andrej Zwitter, University of Groningen, the Netherlands

------------------------------------------------

*Data for Humanity: An Open Letter*

Information is power and data is its raw material. We are experiencing an
unprecedented ascent of Big Data, the development of data science and the
increasing omnipresence of data analytics. We are also witnessing both the
promise and the peril of the ubiquitous acquisition of personal data by
organizations of all types.

Given its novelty, and the current shortcomings of codes of conducts and
legal regulations, data entrepreneurs, governments, data scientists and
educators have yet to find the right balance between the power that data
give and the responsibility that comes with it.

This development of datafication of the world comes at a time with great
challenges, such as climate change, mass migration, deterioration of
personal privacy, and protracted conflicts.

Therefore, we believe that it is important to help encouraging people and
institutions to use data on sound principles that serve humanity.

We want to bring people from different disciplines and professions
together, who share the motivation of using Data for the Common Good and
for Human Wellbeing, in order to ensure that data serves humanity.

*Goal:* *To bring people and institutions together who share the motivation
to use Data for Common Good / human wellbeing*

We encourage people and institutions who own and/or do work with data and
who share the following principles to sign this letter of support.

*Principles:*

1. Do not harm

2. Use data to help create peaceful coexistence

3. Use data to help vulnerable people and people in need

4. Use data to preserve and improve natural environment

5. Use data to help creating a fair world without discrimination

Professor Roberto V. Zicari, Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany

Professor Andrej Zwitter, University of Groningen, the Netherlands

----------------------------------------------------------------

*To sign the open letter, please follow this link:*

http://www.bigdata.uni-frankfurt.de/dataforhumanity/

--
This message was sent to [email-masked]
Unsubscribe or update your options:
https://calmail.berkeley.edu/manage/list/options/[email-masked]