Subject: [gaia] Extremecom 2016 - The Mendonoma Expedition - Call for Papers and Demos

From: "CHATZOPOULOS Dimitrios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 15:07:48 +0800

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP]

******************************************************************

CALL FOR PAPERS AND DEMOS

7th Extreme Conference on Communication and Computing - The Mendonoma
Expedition
ExtremeCom 2016

14-19 August 2016, Manchester, Medocino county, CA, USA

http://www.extremecom.org/

******************************************************************

Scope
-----

The Extreme Conference on Communication and Computing (ExtremeCom) brings
together researchers and practitioners in areas related to communications in
rural, remote or other extreme environments, and computing in extreme
operating conditions such as extreme temperatures and energy constraints,
extreme quantities ("big data"), extremely large-scale systems, and extreme
levels of threat and uncertainty, in order to gain experience and insight
into
the challenges that such environments pose for the network and the users.

We welcome a broad range of topics concerning both technical and economical
aspects, for example wireless communication, mobile computing, low power
devices and protocols, delay tolerant networks and other networking
paradigms,
distributed computing paradigms, big data, distributed systems, cloud
computing, business and services models, user experiences and web
applications. Researches addressing computing challenges in general mobile
environments (even not completely extreme) are also welcomed by the
conference.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun
Expedition
in Laponia, Sweden, ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan Expedition in Dharamsala,
India, ExtremeCom 2011 - The Amazon Expedition in Manaus, Brazil, ExtremeCom
2012 - The Swiss Alps Winter Expedition in Zurich, Switzerland, ExtremeCom
2013 - The Volcanic Expedition in the Eyjafjallajökull Volcano region in
Iceland, and ExtremeCom 2014 - The Galapagos Expedition in Ecuador, we
present
the ExtremeCom 2016 edition: The Mendonoma Expedition. The conference will
contain 3 days of excursions in the stunning nature of coastal northern
California (Mendocino county). Along the way, participants will get to see
and
experience the varying landscape and visit coastal areas, explore the
Stornetta lands national monument, and hike to the Point Arena hot springs
along the Garcia river. During these excursions, we will visit the landing
site of the original trans-pacific coaxial cables, which is today one of
North-America's most important transoceanic fiber landing station, as well as
several deployment sites of the FurtherReach.Net rural network where
participants will interact with subscribers, operators and developers of this
service to learn from their experience. The immersion will not only give a
better idea of both the technical and user requirements of such rural
deployments, but it will also give many opportunities for informal research
discussions between the participants. Participants that have their own
software for scenarios like this will also, to as great an extent as
possible,
be encouraged to test and demonstrate it within this environment. After the
excursions, there will be two days of paper presentations and demos. Focus
will still be on informal research discussions, with the hope that the field
experience will give participants the ability to discuss the topics in a new
light.

******************************************************************

Important dates
---------------

Submission deadline: May 24, 2016
Notification of acceptance: June 15, 2016
Early registration deadline: July 10, 2016
Registration deadline: July 21, 2016
Conference dates: August 14-19, 2016

******************************************************************

Submission Guidelines
---------------------

Participants should submit 6 page papers about ideas and visions about the
topics of the conference or demo proposals to be shown during the conference.
Visionary and thought-provoking papers that are likely to generate much
discussion during the conference are especially solicited. The aim of the
conference is to maintain an informal environment, where new research ideas
can be discussed and developed. We will also have a demo session where
participants can show their implementations and systems. If you want to
show a
demo, please submit a 2 page demo proposal using the same submission
system as
for conference papers, including the prefix "Demo: " in the title.

We only accept PDF files, no greater than 6 pages in length (2 pages for the
demos), including text, figures and references. Manuscripts should use the
ACM
templates (for LaTeX, please use Option 2 files), with 9pt fonts.

Topics for the conference include, but are not limited to:
----------------------------------------------------------

* Testbeds for large-scale sustainable testing of mobile communication
systems
* Real deployments of networks in extreme environments
* Business and service models for networks in rural, remote, and other
  challenging environments
* Delay tolerant networking
* User experience research
* Big data research such as mining and modeling of mobility and social
network
* Cloud computing for extreme scalability
* Mesh networks and sensor networks
* Low-power and intermittent-power protocols
* Mechanisms for emergency and urgent communications
* Distributed computing for mobile environments
* Networked applications and services
* Operating system and middleware support for mobile computing and networking
* Security, privacy, and trustworthiness of extreme communications
* Underwater networking
* Robotic communications and mobile augmented reality
* Protocols, architectures, and applications for the Internet of Things

Due to logistics, the number of participants will be limited. Priority
will be
given to authors of papers and those who register first.

******************************************************************
Organizers
******************************************************************

General co-chairs:
------------------
Pan Hui, HKUST, Hong Kong
Anders Lindgren, SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden

Local organization:
-------------------
Yahel Ben-David, De Novo Group, USA
Gary Levenson-Palmer, USA

Publicity and publication chair:
--------------------------------
Dimitris Chatzopoulos, HKUST, Hong Kong
Yang Chen, Fudan university, Shanghai, China

Web chair:
----------
Dimitris Chatzopoulos, HKUST, Hong Kong

Technical Program Committee:
----------------------------
Scott Burleigh, JPL/NASA, USA
Elwyn Davies, Folly Consulting, UK
Michael Doering, Bosch Research, Germany
Marco Fiore, CNR, Italy
Alfredo Goldman, University of California Irvine, USA
Christine Julien, University of Texas at Austin, USA
James Kwok, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
Jörg Ott, TU Munich, Germany
Zhonghong Ou, Aalto University, Finland
Veljko Pejovic, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Arjuna Sathiaseelan, University of Cambridge, UK
Jan Seedorf, NEC Labs, Germany
Yu Wang, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Klaus Wehrle, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Lars Wolf, TU Braunschweig, Germany

Steering Committee:
-------------------
Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK
Avri Doria, USA
Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK
Pan Hui, HKUST, Hong Kong
Anders Lindgren, SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden