Subject: [gaia] Fwd: ACM DEV full paper deadline extended to July 1st

From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 12:49:05 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ACM DEV <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:06 PM
Subject: ACM DEV full paper deadline extended to July 1st
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, Lakshminarayanan
Subramanian <[email-masked]>

Please forward to your networks and mailing lists!

The ACM DEV 2016 submission deadline has been extended to July 1st. Details
about submission are available on the conference website: http://acmdev.org/
.

ACM DEV 2016

November 18-21, Nairobi, Kenya

Important Dates

New Submission Deadline: July 1, 2016 - 11:59pm UTC.

Acceptance Notification: August 24, 2016.

Conference: November 18-21 in Nairobi, Kenya.

http://acmdev.org/

Call for Papers

DEV 2016 provides an international forum for research in the design,
implementation, and evaluation of information and communication
technologies (ICTs) for social and economic development. In particular, we
focus on contexts where conventional computing solutions are often
inappropriate due to various contextual factors - including, but not
limited to: cost, language, literacy, and the availability of power and
bandwidth. The topic of ICT for development is inherently
multidisciplinary, and encompasses a broad array of research domains.  The
ACM DEV conference is an opportunity for researchers across these diverse
domains to come together to work on the common problem of improving access
to and availability of information and communication technology solutions.
The focus of the conference is research at the intersection of computer
science and development related to (but not limited to) the following
non-exclusive focus areas:

   -

   Systems
   -

   HCI and Applications
   -

   Data Science

We are committed to accepting papers of the very highest quality and will
allow authors to specify one or two submission “tracks” that best fit their
work. Each track has dedicated Program Committee (PC) members with
expertise in the specified area to enable appropriate review of papers.
Papers will be automatically referred to another track or reviewed by PC
members from different tracks where appropriate. Example topics within
focus areas include:

Systems Track

   -

   Low-cost connectivity and computing devices
   -

   Network solutions for poorly connected regions, including white space
   spectrum
   -

   Power-efficient systems
   -

   Mobile systems and applications
   -

   Special-purpose systems, e.g., sensors, wireless, IVR
   -

   Systems challenges and opportunities in development, e.g., security,
   sustainability, resilience
   -

   Cellular phone systems and applications
   -

   Novel tools and applications for development
   -

   Measurements of existing technology in developing regions (e.g. network
   deployments)

HCI Track

   -

   User interfaces for low-literacy populations
   -

   Multilingual computing
   -

   Participatory methods and user-centered design
   -

   Accessibility for disabled populations in developing regions
   -

   User interfaces for low-cost devices
   -

   Design and evaluation of applications in health, microfinance,
   education, agriculture, entertainment, social media, etc.
   -

   Adapting content and applications to local languages and education levels
   -

   Understanding social relationships and information flows in underserved
   communities

Data Science Track

   -

   Computational sustainability
   -

   Computational social science
   -

   Econometric models and developmental economics
   -

   Data science for social good
   -

   Machine learning techniques for large-scale data analysis in development
   contexts
   -

   Speech interfaces and translation for low-resource languages
   -

   Computer vision challenges and opportunities in development
   -

   Understanding social networks and digital media in developing regions

General Track

We also welcome papers outside of the above topics that address the DEV
focus on computing innovations supporting social and economic development.

Papers should describe original and unpublished research. Three metrics
will be applied to judge the submissions: (a) relevance of the problem for
development; (b) novelty of the ideas; and (c) evaluation of the solution,
making a case for development-focused impact. All DEV paper submissions
should either provide or directly motivate a novel technical solution that
has direct implications for development. Full papers must not exceed 10
pages (including references, figures, and tables). All submissions must be
in ACM format <http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates>,
submitted as a PDF and should be fully anonymized. In particular, the names
or affiliations of authors should not be included so as to allow for blind
review. All papers will undergo a double-blind review process with at least
three reviews. Papers should be submitted via the submission site
<http://papers.acmdev.org/>.  As part of the submission process, please
indicate one or more tracks for which your submission is best suited.
Please direct any questions to [email-masked].