Subject: [gaia] Call for Participation: 1st Summit on Community Networks at AfriCHI

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 23:12:54 +0000

Call for Participation: 1st Summit on Community Networks in Africa 22nd
November 2016, 09h00 - 17h00AfriCHI, Nairobi, Kenya

http://www.internetsociety.org/events/1st-summit-community-networks-africa

Connecting the next Billion is one of the central issues on the
international Internet and Internet Governance agenda. At the Internet
Society, we consider “Connecting the Next Billion” as a key issue, as it
relates directly to our mission and vision. Despite the success of the
mobile revolution in Africa, there are significant barriers to connectivity.

Community established networks also referred to as “community networks”
(CN) are an emerging and sustainable solution to address the connectivity
gaps that exist in urban and rural areas around the world. In Africa, where
these gaps are more evident. A recent survey was able to identify 37
community networks initiatives in 12 African countries, of which 25 are
considered active. [1]
<http://www.internetsociety.org/events/1st-summit-community-networks-africa#_ftn1>

To understand better how this phenomenon is evolving in the continent, the
First Summit on Community Networks in Africa will be held on 22nd November
2016 in Nairobi Kenya within the AfriCHI conference. The Summit aims to
bring together more than ten community network operators in Africa to
engage in experience sharing on their challenges and opportunities. The
objective of the summit is to promote increased collaboration between
community network operators in the region and to provide an opportunity for
them to engage with other stakeholders.
Who Should Attend

Community Network operators, Wireless Network Researchers, Policy Makers,
Regulators and Regulatory Associations, Civil Society organisations and
members of the public interested on the topic.
Venue

Auditorium in the University of Nairobi towers, University of Nairobi
Draft Summary Agenda
8:30 Registration
9:00 - 09:15 Welcome and Introduction - Michuki Mwangi
9:15 - 10:15 Presentations - Reasons to start a Community Network and
evolution since then
10:15 - 11:00 Presentations - Arrangements to keep social cohesion and
foster inclusion
11:00 - 11:30 Coffee Break
11:30 - 12:00 Presentations - Arrangements to keep social cohesion and
foster inclusion (continued)
12:00 - 13:00 Community Networks Presentations - Infrastructure and service
provision
13:00 - 14:00 Lunch
14:00 - 14:45

Focused discussions - Part I
Question: What are the barriers to establishing more Community Networks and
scale the existing ones?
14:45 - 15:30

Focused discussions - Part II
Question: What are the capacity building and training opportunities and
needs?
15:30 - 16:00

Coffee Break
16:00 - 16:45

Focused discussions Part III
Question: What opportunities can be leveraged to make Community Networks
more sustainable?
16:45 - 17:00

Wrap-up

Registration

Participation fees: 30 USD

   1. For registrations please proceed to https://www.regonline.com/R
   egister/Checkin.aspx?EventId=1864389
   <https://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventId=1864389>
   2. Select "Registration Type: Workshops/Courses/..."
   3. After entering your personal details please select “Community
   Networks in Africa” under the agenda items

Useful Information

   - Lunch will be provided
   - French - English simultaneous translation will be available

Logistics Around the Event

   - ACM Dev, 18-20 November: http://acmdev.org
   - AfriCHI, 21-25 November: http://africhi.net/
   - Entry visas for Kenya: http://evisa.go.ke/single-entry-visa.html
   Single Entry Visa. Issued for a single entry to persons whose
   nationalities require a visa to enter Kenya either for business, tourism or
   medical reasons.

Examples Community Networks in Africa attending the Summit

   - *Connecting Eenhana, Fatsuam Foundation and Mesh Bukavu from:*
“(Re)Building
   Technology: Community Technology Fieldguide”
   <https://www.newamerica.org/documents/1371/rebuilding-technology.pdf>
   - Ensemble Pour La Difference and Fjord: “Bringing The Internet To
   Africa’s Forgotten Island”
   <https://www.fjordnet.com/workdetail/bringing-the-internet-to-africas-forgotten-island/>
   - Tunapanda Net: http://www.tunapanda.org/
   - Zenzeleni Networks: http://zenzeleni.net
   - BOSCO Uganda: http://boscouganda.com/our-approach/bosco-network/
   - Murambinda Works: http://www.machaworks.org/murumbinda.html
   - Macha Works: http://www.machaworks.org
   - Soweto Wireless User Group (SoWUG): http://sowug.org.za/

Examples of Other Community Networks in the world

   - Internet Society Wireless for Communities in South Asia:
   http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/where-we-
   work/asia/south-asia/wireless-communities
   <http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/where-we-work/asia/south-asia/wireless-communities>
   - Digital Empowerment Foundation: http://defindia.org
   - Guifi: https://guifi.net
   - Rhizomatica: https://rhizomatica.org

Contact

   - Carlos Rey-Moreno: [email-masked]
   - Michuki Mwangi: [email-masked]

Notes

[1]
<http://www.internetsociety.org/events/1st-summit-community-networks-africa#_ftnref1>
C.
Rey-Moreno, M. Graaf, “Map of Community Networks in Africa”, 1st Report on
the Dynamic Coalition on Community Connectivity: “Community Connectivity:
Building the Internet from Scratch”. Ed. FGV Rio Editions. December 2016.
In press

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d

---

From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:48:29 -0500

Hi all,

ACM DEV is co-located with AfriCHI and is from Nov 18-20. Anyone attending
this event could consider attending ACM DEV over the weekend and maybe
eligible for subsidized registration at DEV. Please check with the DEV
organizers (CCed).

cheers
lakshmi

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> 12:00 - 13:00 Community Networks Presentations - Infrastructure and
> service provision
> 13:00 - 14:00 Lunch
> 14:00 - 14:45
>
> Question: What are the barriers to establishing more Community Networks
> and scale the existing ones?
> 14:45 - 15:30
>
>    - *Connecting Eenhana, Fatsuam Foundation and Mesh Bukavu from:* “(Re)Building
>    http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/where-we-wor
>    k/asia/south-asia/wireless-communities
> <http://www.internetsociety.org/events/1st-summit-community-networks-africa#_ftnref1> C.
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 16:48:34 +0000

Following Lakshmi's email  -

there may be a few free passes for researchers/practitioners you are
interested for attending ACM DEV. If so, please contact Lakshmi/organisers.

Regards