Subject: [gaia] mmWave et al

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 08:14:56 +0000

this is indeed good news for those intending to work on mmWave for high
speed backhaul:
https://code.facebook.com/posts/1197678800270377/facebook-demonstrates-record-breaking-data-rate-using-millimeter-wave-technology/

also check this recent paper at the ATC workshop (Mobicom):
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2987353

in the mean time the data available here is really helpful:
https://code.facebook.com/posts/596471193873876/open-population-datasets-and-open-challenges/

considering that more than 95% of the population live around 65KM radius to
a city..

good future for multihop wireless?

or better prospects for TVWS? especially if you start adopting full duplex:
https://web.stanford.edu/~skatti/pubs/sigcomm13-fullduplex.pdf

Arjuna
-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d

---

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:41:48 -0400

The Facebook-supported population-mapping research is really very
impressive.  On the one hand, it is great to see them embracing an Open
Source approach to data.  However, datasets of this magnitude that directly
and very accurately map human population also have to be considered from a
risk of harm point of view as well.  See this post on open source
intelligence at
https://responsibledata.io/responsible-data-open-source-intelligence/

Perhaps there is no serious risk of harm but for any dataset like this, it
seems to me that there should be evidence that some risk analysis has taken
place.  I confess to finding myself somewhat conflicted on the issue.

Cheers... Steve

On 18 November 2016 at 04:14, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> speed backhaul: https://code.facebook.com/posts/1197678800270377/facebook-
> demonstrates-record-breaking-data-rate-using-millimeter-wave-technology/
>
> in the mean time the data available here is really helpful: https://code.
> facebook.com/posts/596471193873876/open-population-datasets-and-open-
> challenges/
>
> considering that more than 95% of the population live around 65KM radius
> to a city..
>
> or better prospects for TVWS? especially if you start adopting full
> duplex: https://web.stanford.edu/~skatti/pubs/sigcomm13-fullduplex.pdf
>
> Arjuna
> --
> Arjuna Sathiaseelan
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>

-- 
+1 902 529 0046
[email-masked]
http://nsrc.org