Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [Ietf_africa] Summary of the IETF Update Session at AFRINIC 25

From: Ivy Hoetu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 19:04:44 +0000

For your reading

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Kevin Chege* <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, November 28, 2016
Subject: [Ietf_africa] Summary of the IETF Update Session at AFRINIC 25
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Greetings everyone,

We had a good event this weekend at the AFRINIC session and had 31
participants attending the event. The session was very interactive with
many questions from the floor and as a result, we could not go through the
full agenda. I have attached slides from Kevin Meynell who was going to
speak about “Whats New at the IETF". I have tried to capture all that was
discussed on the day and presentations are also available. I would like to
thank the presenters and participants for making it to the event and
participating in the session which was very interactive.

*Presentations and Discussions*

   1. We had a short talk by Stephen Honlue from AFRINIC about his past
   experience as an IETF Fellow at IETF 96.
      1. He has also made a presentation at the main AFRINIC plenary and
      his slides should be available here soon
      <https://meeting.afrinic.net/afrinic-25/agenda#>
   2. We had a presentation from Padma from Huawei who has over 20 years
   experience with the IETF and has worked on RFCs on BGP/MPLS and OSPF. She
   talked about how she started at the IETF and gave tips for beginners who
   would like to get involved with the IETF (her slides are attached and she
   is also on this list).
   3. We had presentations from Yash Paupiah (attached) and Nitin Mutkawoa
   (slides to be shared later) of Hackers.mu <https://www.hackers.mu/> on
   how they organised local hackathons to apply RFCs to open source software
   packages
   4. Finally we had an open discussion on the initiative with participants
   giving their ideas and concerns as to how the initiative can reach its
   goals. Here is a summary of some of the ideas proposed:

   - Working with Universities and research institutions to reach students
         - Universities were again identified as a key audience for this
         initiative and that one of the strategies should be to work
with Academia
         to introduce IETF materials in the curriculums. This was
identified as a
         long term goal (due to how long it takes for Universities to
add courses)
         but one that must be done.
         - It was also mentioned that the initiative should reach young
         engineers who may not necessarily be within Universities
      - The ISOC fellowships need to be better structured to identify the
      most worthy individuals and also have them play a role in the initiative.
         - Mentorship for the fellows before they attend the meeting is key
         in enabling them to have a meaningful experience at the IETF meetings
         - There should be clear roles for the fellows when they return
         from an IETF meeting and past fellows should also be involved in
         this initiative to act as mentors to others
      - Increasing remote participation and mentorships
         - The ISOC Fellowships will not be able to take everyone to the
         IETF so remote hubs and remote participation should be highly
         encouraged
         - Local hubs could be a solution where there can be
            - Hackathons
            - IETF viewing hubs, etc
            - IETF discussions at NOGs, NRENs, University ICT Hubs etc
         - There should be a wider push to get other partners involved in
      the activity to push this initiative further
         - ISOC chapters were identified as one of the players in
         this initiative who can be used to engage other
entities/organizations to
         further this initiative (e.g. Governments, Regulators, Policy
and non tech
         people) in order to increase awareness and gain support
      - The messaging for this initiative needs to be very clear and
      targeted in order to obtain buy-in with specific audiences. The
initiative
      should be clear as to what role each individual can play and the
      workload expected in getting RFCs published.
         - It was discussed that only a few people will be able to work on
         RFC publications
            - The initiative should communicate the size of the task
               - It needs dedication and time
            - The are other ways to participate.
               - There are other ways one can participate like by providing
               comments to existing drafts, mentoring others and
promoting adoption of RFCs
            - Messaging for specific audiences and structured outreach as
         to what their role is/can be
      - For students
         - For lecturers, managers, etc
            - For system administrators and network administrators etc

*Conclusions from the event*

   - There are skilled engineers on the continent who can contribute to the
   IETF if properly mentored and guided. The initiative needs to aim to reach
   as many of them as possible.
   - Similar events need to be organised often when the opportunity arises
      - WACREN 2017 and AIS 2017 were mentioned
   - There is a need for structured engagement for this initiative with set
   timelines so as to make progress
   - There are many ways that one can participate to the IETF remotely

I would like to again thank the presenters and participants for making it
to the event and participating in the session which was very interactive.

*Next Steps*

   - Organising similar events when possible
   - A landing page for the initiative
      - We are working on this and the draft will be shared soon for input
   - Structured engagement and plan for the coming year with clear
   timelines
      - Formation of the Africa IETF Task Force to lead this. As per the
      structure of the initiative, a smaller “think tank” will be put together,
      hopefully before the end of the year to provide a clear strategy
with goals
      and timelines

Also, only 9 people have filled the survey so far, kindly provide your
input and also share the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9GCCVQF

Regards

Kevin G. Chege
ISOC

Regards

Kevin G. Chege
ISOC

Regards

Kevin G. Chege

-- 
Ivy Hoetu (Mrs.)
Engineering Division, National Communications Authority
Koforidua Regional Office
Tel         : +233(0) 3420-28378 / 80 /82
Email     :  [email-masked]
Alternate : [email-masked]
Skype     : nanabee911
blog        : ivyhoetu4id.blogspot.com
Twitter     : @ivytoff

---

From: Ivy Hoetu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 19:35:12 +0000

For your reading

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Kevin Chege* <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, November 28, 2016
Subject: [Ietf_africa] Summary of the IETF Update Session at AFRINIC 25
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Greetings everyone,

*Next Steps*

Regards

Kevin G. Chege
ISOC

Regards

Kevin G. Chege
ISOC

Regards

Kevin G. Chege