Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [Ict4d] Call for Applications: HPI CS4A PhD studentships

From: Amreesh Phokeer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 11:47:30 +0200

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Melissa Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM
Subject: [Ict4d] Call for Applications: HPI CS4A PhD studentships
To: ict4d <[email-masked]>

Hi all,

Complete call at: http://hpi.cs.uct.ac.za/studentships2017

The *Hasso-Plattner-Institute in Computer Science for Africa* (HPI in CS4A -
hpi.cs.uct.ac.za), affiliated with the Department of Computer Science at
the University of Cape Town, is offering PhD studentships in the field of
Computer Science to students from the African continent. More specifically,
we seek high quality applications centered on ideas that revolve around
proposing solutions to problems of computing that emerge in the African
context. Areas of research of potential supervisors include (with subfield
listed in brackets):

   - *Computer Graphics* [Augmented and Virtual Reality, Procedural
   Modelling]
   - *Computational Science *[Computational Chemistry, Computational
   Astronomy]
   - *Digital Libraries* [Cultural Heritage Preservation, Architectures and
   Interoperability]
   - *Educational Technology *[Computer Science Education, Gamification,
   Teacher-focused Interventions]
   - *Human Computer Interaction for Development (HCI4D)* [Co-design,
   Public Health Education, Mobile-first Content Creation, Cloudlet
   Applications, Mobile Health, Authentication, Voice systems]
   - *Information Retrieval* [IR for development, African/marginalized
   language IR]
   - *Knowledge Engineering* [ontologies, knowledge representation and
   reasoning, natural language generation, intelligent conceptual modelling]
   - *Networks* [Cloudlets, Content and Information Centric Networks]
   - *Parallel/High Performance Computing * [GPGPU, Multithreading]
   - *Visualization* [Scientific visualisation, Tangible interfaces,
   Design]

Eligible candidates will meet the following criteria:

   - Hold a Masters Degree in Computer Science, supported by a good
   dissertation
   - Be proficient in English as attested by a recent score (obtained
   within 3 - 5 years before application for admission) of at least 570
   (paper-based test) or 230 (computer-based test) on the Test of English as a
   Foreign Language (TOEFL); or a recent overall band score of 7.0 (with no
   individual element of the test scoring below 6.0) on the International
   English Language Testing System (IELTS). If your medium of education was in
   English then you are exempt from this requirement.

*Application Deadline: 29 September, 2017 *

*Application Guidelines *
To apply, please submit the following:

   - A curriculum vitae ( 2-3 pages)
   - Academic Transcripts
   - TOEFL/IELTS Results
   - A brief research proposal (2-3 pages) with a potential supervisor at
   UCT identified

Your proposal must outline your research question(s) and proposed
methodology for conducting the research. We will only consider proposals
that fall within the core areas of research listed.

Please submit a single pdf file, comprising ALL the application materials,
electronically at the following link - https://easychair.org/
conferences/?conf=hpics4a2017

Under the title field you should submit a provisional title for your
research and under keywords list the areas of specialization.

Applications must be submitted on or before the 29th September 2017.

Shortlisted candidates will be expected to arrange for three reference
letters to be submitted and be available for a Skype interview in early to
mid October.

Questions or requests for more information can be made using the contact
details below:
Contact Information
A/Prof James Gain,
Coordinator, HPI PhD Research School in CS4A
Department of Computer Science
18 University Ave.,
University of Cape Town Cape Town,
South Africa, 7701
Email: jgainAtcs.uct.ac.za

_______________________________________________
ICT4D mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.cs.uct.ac.za/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ict4d

-- 
Amreesh Phokeer