Subject: [gaia] controversy at its best

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 21:21:56 +0100

a paper thats creating a furore within the development community
http://fooddeserts.org/images/paper0114.pdf

regards

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
University of Cambridge | GAIUS Networks | Ammbr | GAIA Labs
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d

---

From: Kurtis Heimerl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 13:38:41 -0700

I'm personally pretty sure this is satire. If you were going to argue for
the benefits of colonialism, I can't imagine putting Congo in the
introduction.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 21:41:53 +0100

surprisingly (alarmingly) I have heard from several Indian friends
over the years that they think that it would have been better to be
under the British than being under the corrupt politicians...The
British progressed India to a great level (e.g. abolishment of the
Sati, the bridges, dams etc)..

Arjuna

On 14 September 2017 at 21:38, Kurtis Heimerl
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>

---

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 12:58:41 +0000

> On 14. Sep 2017, at 22:41, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

There is some truth to that :)

> Arjuna

-- Vaibhav

----------------------
Vaibhav Bajpai
www.vaibhavbajpai.com

Postdoctoral Fellow
TU Munich, Germany
----------------------

---

From: Vesna Manojlovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 16:02:30 +0200 (CEST)

(hi, i am mostly lurning here, but this got my attention..)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017, Kurtis Heimerl wrote:

> I'm personally pretty sure this is satire.

i hope you are right.

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]> wrote:

i can imagine why the furore.

i find the argumentation well polished, but full of falacies, 
entitlement, patronising and morally wrong. it justifies violence and 
dispossession, destrucion of natural habitats for profit of the 
"technologically advanced" colonizers, genocides and ecocides...

i don't have enough words to describe my outrage. that this kind of 
"paper" could be published by a serious academic, in a peer-reviewed 
"journal", is making me sad.
(or can just anyone pretend to be on the editorail of such a journal?)

Vesna

for the backgorund: "Wretched of the Earth", Frantz Fanon

https://bookshop.theguardian.com/wretched-of-the-earth.html

Provides inspiration for anti-colonial movements ever since, analysing the 
role of class, race, national culture and violence in the struggle for 
freedom. In this book, the author makes clear the economic and 
psychological degradation inflicted by imperialism.

& http://www.essential-humanities.net/history-supplementary/european-colonialism/

--
community, cooperation, commons, squirrels // http://becha.home.xs4all.nl
nature, anarchy, utopia, un-anthropocene // https://www.unciv.nl // @Ms_Multicolor

---

From: willi uebelherr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 20:57:23 -0400

Yes, dear Vesna and Kurtis. For me, this is the colonialism of the 
colonialism. It is to search a way for colonialise the colonialised 
people and to reestablish the colonial thinking in the powerful NATO++ 
environment.

That this text is published in a "western" journal is clear for me. They 
want to destroy all his bad history. The bad conscience of the perpetrators.

many greetings, willi
in this time: Asuncion, Paraguay

Am 15/9/2017 um 10:02 schrieb Vesna Manojlovic:
> Provides inspiration for anti-colonial movements ever since, analysing 
> the role of class, race, national culture and violence in the struggle 
> for freedom. In this book, the author makes clear the economic and 
> & 
> http://www.essential-humanities.net/history-supplementary/european-colonialism/ 
> 
> 
> 
> --

---

From: "El Khatib, Yehia (elkhatib)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:55:18 +0000

To follow up on this:

The whole editorial board resigned in protest of “unacceptable process
around the publication” of the article.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/journals-editorial-board-resign
s-over-colonialism-essay/articleshow/60754617.cms

/yehia

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 00:37:06 +0100

excellent talk about this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CW7S0zxv4

regards