Subject: [gaia] Zero Rating & Internet Adoption: The Role of Telcos, ISPs & Technology Companies in Expanding Global Internet Access

From: Richard Dent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 19:10:05 +0100

Harvard Berkman Klein Centre workshop paper on Zero rating:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3047847

KEY FINDINGS

  *

    Many different models of industry initiatives currently fall into
    the loose definition of zero rating. Creating a better defined
    taxonomy of program parameters, technical mecha- nisms, and impacts
    may allow for greater nuance and understanding in the field, as well
    as more targeted regulatory responses.

  *

    Universal Internet access and adoption is a common goal but one that
    requires significant investment in global infrastructure. Some
    assert that zero rating programs may serve as a helpful stopgap
    measures to increase access, while others argue that these programs
    contribute to the creation of a tiered internet ecosystem without
    providing meaningful benefits to the targeted beneficiaries.

  *

    Zero rating initiatives may be employed in pursuit of goals other
    than Internet adoption, such as emergency services messages or
    security updates, and the goals of a particular program may make it
    more or less controversial.

  *

    More empirical research is required to fully assess the impact of
    specific zero rating initia- tives, as well as zero rating
    generally, on Internet adoption in the developing world. This
    research will sometimes require access to usage information held by
    mobile carriers and zero rating service providers that should be
    handled with user privacy in mind.

-- 
PhD Researcher, Department of Sociology
Centre for Science & Policy network member
Affliated researcher, Networking for Development Lab, Computer lab
University of Cambridge

http://www.csap.cam.ac.uk/network/richard-dent/
http://www.richardjdent.com
@richarddent
Tel: 07827 537537