Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [TIER] CFP: ACM SIGCAS Conference on Computing and Sustainable Societies (COMPASS)

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 14:57:05 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 December 2017 at 13:33
Subject: [TIER] CFP: ACM SIGCAS Conference on Computing and
Sustainable Societies (COMPASS)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Dear all,

Attached is the revised CFP of the new ACM SIGCAS Conference on
Computing and Sustainable Societies (COMPASS). The steering committee
deliberated on several new names for the conference and finally have
decided on COMPASS. The new conference expands the focus of the
original conference to explicitly welcome work on all underrepresented
and/or marginalized communities worldwide and to include work on
sustainability, gender equality, health, education, poverty,
accessibility, conservation, climate change, and economic growth,
among others.

The new website for the conference is up (thanks to Neha Kumar)

http://acmcompass.org

Submission deadlines are the same as advertised earlier. Please spread
the word broadly, submit papers and participate in the new initiative.

Thank you,

Ellen, Richard and Lakshmi

Computing and Sustainable Societies (COMPASS) 2018

San Francisco, California | 20-22 June 2018

Call for Papers

The first annual ACM SIGCAS Conference on Computing and Sustainable
Societies (COMPASS 2018) invites submissions of Full Papers for the
conference to be hosted at Facebook from June 20-22, 2018. COMPASS
2018 is a re-creation of the ACM DEV conference, which was held
annually between 2010 and 2016. Inspired by the broad agenda of the
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the new
conference expands the focus of the original conference to explicitly
welcome work on all underrepresented and/or marginalized communities
worldwide and to include work on sustainability, gender equality,
health, education, poverty, accessibility, conservation, climate
change, and economic growth, among others.

To ensure strong research contributions, the conference will review
papers based on focus areas corresponding to the computing areas they
draw upon. The four focus areas for the 2018 conference are Systems,
HCI, Data Science/AI, and Applications. Possible topics for each focus
area include, but are not limited to:

Systems Focus

●      Low-cost connectivity and computing devices

●      Power-efficient systems

●      Network solutions for poorly connected regions, including white
space spectrum

●      Novel tools and applications for underserved communities

●      Mobile systems and applications

●      Special-purpose systems, e.g sensors, wireless, IVR

●      Cellular phone systems and applications

●      Measurements of existing technology in underserved regions, e.g
network deployment

●      Systems challenges and opportunities in low-resource contexts,
e.g security, sustainability, resilience

●      IT systems for smart-grids and smart-homes

HCI Focus

●      User interfaces for low-literacy populations

●      Multilingual computing

●      Participatory methods and user-centered design for low resource contexts

●      Accessible technologies for underserved communities with disabilities

●      User interfaces for low-cost devices

●      Adapting content and applications to local languages and education levels

●      Understanding social relationships and information flows in
underserved communities

●      Understanding technology adoption dynamics in underserved communities

Data Science/AI Focus

●      Computational sustainability

●      Computational social science

●      Econometric models and developmental economics

●      Novel applications for underserved communities, including in
poverty mapping, disease surveillance, population migration, health
services

●      Machine learning techniques for large-scale data analysis in
development contexts

●      Data cleaning and data integration methods

●      Speech interfaces and translation for local languages

●      Computer vision challenges and opportunities in low-resource settings

●      Understanding social networks and digital media in underserved regions

Applications and Other Focus

●      Design and evaluation of applications in health, financial
services,  education, agriculture, entertainment, and social media in
underserved regions

●      Studies of large scale deployments of technology for social good

●      Internet policy and law for underserved communities

●      Critical analyses of technology in low resource contexts

●      Application of blockchain

●      Additional relevant topics not covered above

The COMPASS conference will have a model of rolling submissions, as
has been recently adopted by several other top conferences. As this is
a transition year for the conference, there will be two separate
submission dates.  Papers submitted on the first deadline may be given
the option of revise and resubmit for consideration of acceptance at
the conference. Full papers will have a length limit of 10 pages (not
including references). The conference will have a separate track for
notes (short papers of four pages or less, focusing on a single
topic).  Details of the requirements for notes will appear in a
separate call for papers.

Important dates

January 12, 2018.   Round one deadline for submission of Full Papers.

February 16, 2018:  Round two deadline for submission of Full Papers.

March 2, 2018: Notification of decisions for Full Papers submitted for
round one.

March 30, 2018:  Deadline for resubmission of round one papers that
were not accepted, but invited to resubmit.

March 30, 2018:  Notification of decisions for Full Papers submitted
for round two.

April 13, 2018:  Notification of decisions on resubmitted papers of round one.

May 4, 2018:  Camera-ready of Full Papers accepted in rounds one and two due.

All submission are due 11:59 pm UTC.

General Conference Chair

Ellen Zegura, Georgia Institute of Technology

Program Committee Chairs

Richard Anderson, University of Washington

Lakshmi Subramanian, New York University

Ellen Zegura, Georgia Institute of Technology

Notes Chairs

Kurtis Heimerl, University of Washington

Nithya Sambasivan, Google

Local Arrangement Chair

Kashif Ali, Facebook

CSG Steering Committee

Richard Anderson,  University of Washington

Nicola Dell, Cornell Tech

Melissa Densmore,  University of Cape Town

Carla Gomes, Cornell University

Jennifer Mankoff, University of Washington

Aaditeshwar Seth, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi

Lakshmi Subramanian, New York University

Milind Tambe, University of Southern California

Bill Thies,  Microsoft Research

Ellen Zegura, Georgia Tech

Program Committee

TBA

_______________________________________________
TIER mailing list
Website: http://tier.cs.berkeley.edu
[email-masked]
https://www.millennium.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tier

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
University of Cambridge | Ammbr Research Labs
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d