Subject: Re: [Geojson] [draft-geojson] Reserve version member (#159)

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:15:24 +0100

On 2016-02-28 0:33 , Sean Gillies wrote:
> I'm proposing to reserve the "version" member to head off confusion
> between GeoJSON-using protocol or API versions and the GeoJSON format
> version. Requiring implementers to use some other key is going to help
> make it more clear that it's /their/ protocol or API version and not a
> new version of the GeoJSON format. Maybe GeoJSON's reserved version
> member turns out to be useful down the road (though I doubt it).

i am not entirely sure how a non-defined member is helping, but it 
probably doesn't hurt anybody either. but if the version member is 
reserved, what's an implementation's expected behavior when finding one? 
silently ignore it (maybe that would be a "'version' member should 
SHOULD NOT be used") or complain and stop (that might be a "'version' 
member MUST NOT be used")? i think that's what the spec should tell 
developers.

-- 
erik wilde | mailto:[email-masked] |
            | http://dret.net/netdret    |
            | http://twitter.com/dret    |