Subject: RE: terminology/definitions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:16:12 -0500

There is much to admire in the 3GPP work, but choice of names is not one of
them IMHO.
I'd rather not use these.

They don't cover the territory we are discussing, for example, because
while
the "entity" is
what we are currently calling the target, the "user" has the problems we
are
discussing.
I also think that the privacy conditions we are likely to be asked to deal
with are a good
bit richer than the elements these definitions cover.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Mario Tapia [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 5:20 AM
To: [email-masked] '
Subject: terminology/definitions

I suggest a good start for terminology is to look at groups defining the
services for location in mobile networks. 3GPP is a start, I suggest a
review other location architectures like those in WAP and LIF for
comparison. 3GPP has done a good job at debating this issue and the results
can be found in their published documentation.

The list of definitions can be found in document 3GPP 22.071 and 03.71.

I have listed some from 22.071 below.

UE in the definitions below refers to User Entity.  The future mobile
device
is essentially some Entity used by a User.

BM__Toc510518613Definitions

Current Location: after a location attempt has successfully delivered a
location estimate and its associated time stamp, the location estimate and
time stamp are referred to as the 'current location' at that point in time.

Deferred location request: a location request where the location response
(responses) is (are) not required immediately.

Immediate location request: a location request where a single location
response only is required immediately.

Initial Location: in the context of an originating  emergency call the
location estimate and the associated time stamp at the commencement of the
call set-up is referred to as 'initial location'.

Last Known Location: The current location estimate and its associated time
stamp for Target UE stored in the LCS Server is referred to as the 'last
known location' and until replaced by a later location estimate and a new
time stamp is referred to as the 'last known location'.

LCS Client: a software and/or hardware entity that interacts with a LCS
Server for the purpose of obtaining location information for one or more
Mobile Stations.  LCS Clients subscribe to LCS in order to obtain location
information. LCS Clients may or may not interact with human users.  The LCS
Client is responsible for formatting and presenting data and managing the
user interface (dialogue). The LCS Client is identified by a unique
international identification, e.g. E.164, number or Access Point Name
(APN).

NOTE:    The LCS Client may reside inside or outside the PLMN.

LCS Client Access barring list: an optional list of MSISDNs per LCS Client
where the LCS Client is not allowed to locate any MSISDN therein.

LCS Client Subscription Profile: a collection of subscription attributes of
LCS related parameters that have been agreed for a contractual period of
time between the LCS client and the service provider.

LCS Feature: the capability of a PLMN to support LCS Client/server
interactions for locating Target UEs.

LCS Server:  a software and/or hardware entity offering LCS capabilities.
The LCS Server accepts requests, services requests, and sends back
responses
to the received requests.  The LCS server consists of LCS components which
are distributed  to one or more PLMN and/or service provider.

Location Estimate: the geographic location of a UE and/or a valid Mobile
Equipment (ME), expressed in latitude and longitude data. The Location
Estimate shall be represented in a well-defined universal format.
Translation from this universal format to another geographic location
system
may be supported, although the details are considered outside the scope of
the primitive services.

North American Emergency Services Routing Digits (NA-ESRD): a telephone
number in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) that can be used to
identify a North American emergency services provider and its associated
LCS
client. The ESRD also identifies the base station, cell site or sector from
which a North American emergency call originates.

North American Emergency Services Routing Key (NA-ESRK): a telephone number
in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) assigned to an emergency
services call by a North American VPLMN for the duration of the call. The
NA-ESRK is used to identify (e.g. route to) both the emergency services
provider and the switch in the VPLMN currently serving the emergency
caller.
During the lifetime of an emergency services call, the NA-ESRK also
identifies the calling mobile subscriber.

PLMN Access barring list: an optional list of MSISDN per PLMN where any LCS
Client is not allowed to locate any MSISDN therein except for certain
exceptional cases.

Privacy Class: list of LCS Clients defined within a privacy exception class
to which permission may be granted to locate the target UE. The permission
shall be granted either on activation by the target UE or permanently for a
contractual period of time agreed between the target UE and the service
provider.

Privacy Exception List: a list consisting of various types of privacy
classes (i.e. operator related, personal etc.).  Certain types of classes
may require agreement between the service provider and the target MS.

Target MS: The UE being positioned.

Target UE: The UE being positioned.

Target UE Subscription Profile: the profile detailing the subscription to
various types of privacy classes.

Mario Tapia
Telecommunications Engineer
TeleCommunication Systems
2200 Alaskan Way 2nd Floor
Seattle WA 98121

Office   :     +1 206 674 1047
Mobile  :     +1 206 954 3033
Fax      :     +1 206 674 1080
www.xypoint.com   www.telecomsys.com