Subject: RE: draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-05.txt

From: Ajith Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:29:39 +0800

Well, if  *that* really is the point of contention, consider these: one, a
fact and the other, a certain possibility:

1.  The OS already knows the time zone it is configured to be in.  Time
zones are related to geographical location, and I do agree that the
precision of correlation does vary from case to case.  Also, when somebody
gets on a plane or space ship, it is no longer valid.  However, the point
is that it knows (possibly coarsely) the correct location, most of the time
(assuming limited travel).  Imagine that you live your day-to-day life in a
small timezone like SGT (Singapore); in which case the location can be good
to a 50 km x 50 km accuracy.

2.  The OS of tomorrow may know a lot more than that.  In the future, PDA's
and notebooks might come with embedded GPS,  and/or pick up location off a
Bluetooth or UWB service in the vicinity providing location beacons.... or
using other means you can imagine.

I'm not saying that HTML geo-tags are the most pressing geo-privacy problem
we have !  But, I recognise that the problem is about:

     1.  Having a language for expressing user control over release of
location information (machine readable policy)
     2.  Bringing such  HTML creation programs under policy control.

And I think (1) has much to do with the geo-privacy work in this WG !

-- Ajith
|  Ajith Narayanan
|  IBM Emerging Technology Centre, Singapore.
--

Dante Castiglione <[email-masked]> on 02/07/2002 12:06:55 PM

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked], felix kaegi
      <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
      [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked], IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject:  RE: draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-05.txt

I think that we need here to think about *what* geographical information
the
HTML creation program has; and the answer maybe "none". There are no GPSs
in
the PCs, and the user address is not allways configured. You can have an
address book, but that's not relevant. I do not understand *from* *where*
the HTML creation program may take this "geographical information" to put
it
on a hidden tag. It's not that simple, IMHO.

Just my 2c.

Kind regards,

Dante

Dante Castiglione
IT & Telecommunications Training
Capacitacion en Informatica y Telecomunicaciones
[email-masked]
www.geocities.com/dantecastiglione
ICQ: 49465083

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrik Faltstrom [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 3:02 AM
To: felix kaegi; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; IESG
Subject: Re: draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-05.txt

--On 2002-02-05 22.46 +0100 felix kaegi <[email-masked]> wrote:

> this draft is just about additional meta tags in the HTML protocol. It is
> about optional, additional meta information of an HTML document and
> therefor we belief it is under the responsibility of an HTML author
> wether or not to give this additional strucutured information to a
> document. It does not generate any privacy issues, because an HTML author
> is free to publish whatever he wants in a document.

It do create privacy issues as the general user on the Internet today
doesn't create the HTML, various software programs do that. Those programs
already today include information automatically without the user doing
anything, and if one add geographical information to that, the privacy
issues gets even more important than they are today.

So, the IESG does not agree with you on this point.

     Regards, paf

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:10:55 -0500

Ajith,

Exactly!