Subject: RE: Back to terminology

From: Cuellar Jorge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 23:10:38 +0100

The following is taken from:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cuellar-geopriv-scenarios-00.tx
t

   Target:    The entity whose location is desired by the Location
              Recipient. The target may be a device (say, a cellular
              phone), a person (say, the subscriber of the cellular
              phone), an animal, a ship or truck, equipment in the
              field, etc.

   Owner of the privacy rights of the target, or, for abbreviation, the
              owner: An entity that has the authorization to decide the
              policies that apply to the location information of the
              target. When the target is a natural person, the owner of
              the target is often the target itself. After the initial
              registration of a target with the system, the owner is in
              possession of credentials showing that he is authorized to
              make the policies for the target. How this happens (that
              the owner proves that he owns the privacy rights and how
              he obtains the credentials) is outside of the scope of
              this discussion. We simply assume that the owner knows the
              correct secrets needed to authenticate the policies of the
              targets. The exact nature of the secrets and the mechanics
              of the authentication is perhaps also outside the scope of
              the WG.
              Other proposed names are "policy maker" and "rule maker"

   Location Recipient:  Entity that obtains the location of targets. To
              obtain location information for one or more targets, it
              interacts with a Location Server or with the Location Data
              Source. Depending on whether he forwards the information
              further or not, we distinguish two types of Location
              Recipients: Location Servers and Ultimate Location
              Recipients.

   Location Server: Software and/or hardware entity offering Location
              Service capabilities based on user-defined privacy
              policies.
              Another proposed name is "Intermediate Location Receiver".

   Ultimate Location Recipient: A Location Recipient that is the
              ultimate recipient of the location information (he may not
              pass this information, or derived one, to others, except
              to the target or the owner). Other proposed names for the
              Ultimate Location Recipient are: Location Requestor,
              Ultimate Location Requestor, Location Seeker, or Location
              Service Client. The name client is unfortunate, since the
              Ultimate Location Recipient may be a location-aware value-
              added service provider (to the owner or the target).

   Location Data Source: The original source of the sighting, that is,
              the matching of an identifier for the target, a position,
              and a time.

              In some scenarios,

              o  the target itself is the location data source (or
                 better, they are co-located).

              o  In some situations the "owner" (see below) may be the
                 original data source, for instance simply because he
                 knows where his equipment is.

              o  It is also possible that the Location Data Source is
                 fully aware of the owner's policies. In this case the
                 owner is able to authorize the Location Data Source to
                 provide the position to a recipient. Then, the
                 recipient can easily link the origin of the location
                 data and the origin of the policies, thus convincing
                 himself of the authenticity of the location data.

              In those cases we will say that the Location Data Source
              is a Location Server. (But there are other types of
              Location Servers.)

              In general, the Location Data Source is some network
              entity, properly authenticated and authorized by the
              network, but perhaps totally unknown to the target and in
              particular unaware of the full details of the policies of
              the owner, or not fully trusted by him.

              The location data source, or the person who legally owns
              it, may have the "copyrights" of the sighting, but in
              general not the ownership of the privacy rights of the
              target.

   The user (that is, the owner) should have full control on his
   policies used by Location Servers. To quote the International Working
   Group on Data Protection in Telecommunications [EU-IWGDP]:

   "The user must be able to access, correct and delete his or her
   preference data also in cases where the preferences of the user are
   not stored on the mobile device, but within the network."

   Location Recipients may submit location requests asking for the
   location of a particular target, for the members of a group, or for
   targets with given attributes.

---
I agree that we do not have consensus yet on those points, but I agree with
Randall that we need more discussion.

Best regards, 

Jorge