Subject: RE: FW: Potential Location Summit

From: Dan Greening <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 11:37:14 -0700

We are looking for someone to represent the IETF Geopriv group.  We
believe (though if we are wrong, please set me straight) that this is
the only active group in IETF dealing with location.

We're not going to make any earth-shattering decisions, i.e. there won't
be any votes or anything like that, but we want to make sure that the
efforts of the different groups are at least well-understood, and if
possible coordinated to reduce the overall effort and maximize the total
value of the effort.

LIF, OGC, WAP Forum, OMA, 3GPP and GSMA have lots of informal and formal
connections that ensure, or attempt to ensure, that we come up with
harmonious standards and reduce the overall workload and produce better
standards.  We'd like to have at least an informal communication path
with IETF Geopriv.  This will likely benefit IETF Geopriv, even if the
IETF Geopriv attendee's only function is to observe.

So in other words, we'd like someone who can fairly represent the work
of people in the group, has a good handle on what the group's likely
accomplishments might be, and can communicate back to IETF Geopriv about
how that location summit proceeded.  We can probably accommodate
multiple attendees from IETF Geopriv.

Anyway, we just want to get a sense whether you'd support it, attend,
etc.

Dan Greening, Ph.D.  CEO, BigTribe Corporation 
              330 Townsend Street, Suite 209, San Francisco, CA
94107-1662 
              [email-masked]  +1(415)995-7151  fax 995-7155

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Brunner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 10:20 AM
To: Dan Greening
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: FW: Potential Location Summit 

define appropriate.
represent what or whom?

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 13:49:06 -0500

Hi Dan,
  It seems that you are not familiar with how IETF works.
IETF Geopriv WG's charter is at:
http://ietf.org/html.charters/geopriv-charter.html
which states that Allison Mankin and Randall Gellens are co-chairs. All 
others are members of this WG. So there is no one to represent this WG 
or the co-chairs and any member (which is open to public, including 
yourself, i.e. anybody can be a member at any time) can represent 
Geopriv WG.
  Regards,

-- 
Behcet

---

From: Eric Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:21:27 -0400

> ... We

Well, there's PILC, where pipe properties tend (strongly) to suggest
properties not strictly inferable from a link-state or distance-vector
(network topology) knowledge-base. After that there's the L2 Triggers
(perenial) activity, I think we're a proto-BoF today. Then there is
manet, where location is reasonably interesting, if relative. It wouldn't
hurt to ask the co-chairs of the mobile-ip wg also.

Oddly enough, a working group I contribute to is concerned with the
controlling jurisdiction and hence data protection regime applicable
to records of some transjurisdictional shared store.

> IETF Geopriv attendee's only function is to observe.

Try writing I-Ds, this is the usual means of communication.

> multiple attendees from IETF Geopriv.

IMO, only your 3rd condition is likely to be satisfied. YMMV.

> Anyway, we just want to get a sense whether you'd support it, attend,

Support. How?
Attend. Is it open to "the public"?

Possessed of neither compass nor chronometer, and befuddled by post-modernism,
Eric

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:07:40 -0500

Dan

To further what Behcet stated, all IETF meetings must be announced 30 days
in advance and literally anyone can attend. So it might be the case here
where you might need to coordinate with the WG chairs (Allison and Randy,
listed below) on a proposed date of this meeting -- announce it to this
list and see how many want to attend from the IETF. There were 15 attending
our Interim meeting this week in San Diego. 

>>              330 Townsend Street, Suite 209, San Francisco, CA

*************************************
"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than they are
willing to allow for others"

James M. Polk
Senior Consulting Engineer
Office of the CTO

Cisco Systems
2200 East President George Bush Turnpike 
Richardson, TX  75082 USA
w) 972.813.5208
f)  972.813.5280
www.cisco.com

---

From: Eric Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 17:57:03 -0400

> others are members of this WG. So there is no one to represent this WG 
 
s/members/contributors/

No handshakes, only clue.

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 18:33:26 -0500

>No handshakes, only clue.

... most of the time   :-/

James M. Polk

Cisco Systems