Subject: Fwd: [manet] IP addresses in MANET

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:52:50 -0400

Oki all,

This is from the mobile ad-hoc routing (manet wg) list.

For those on the geopriv list who think the world is a cell phone,
or some other carrier serviced oyster, this may not appear to be a
problem.

The question posed is how can addressing (possibly routable network
topology) reflect (not necessarily coordinate based) locality?

Note:	manet "lives" on a manifold (something locally Euclidean, or
	quasi-Euclidean), uses ip, and in this discussion thread, it
	connects to the catanet.
	geopriv appears to "live" on only a three-sphere, and may use
	ip.
	
I simply want to let folks know that other people occasionally bump into
geo-route.

Cheers,
Eric

------- Forwarded Message

In my opinion some addressing scheme inspired from Virtual IP would be really 
useful in MANET framework: we might think to bind real IP addresses to the 
locality (or to a cluster) and this could reduce most of the network traffic 
related to routing management. (Routing tables would change with a lower 
frequency) 
If the Virtual IP (the name of the node) doesn't change even iin the case of 
a migration it is possible for the others to track its movement and to use 
the services it shows as soon as it reconnects somewhere into the MANET.  
Is it meaningfull? I'd like to have your opinion...

manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Dan Greening <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:41:19 -0700

Even for those that think the world is a cell phone, IP is important.
New cell phones coming out in the next 12-18 months have built-in
802.11, and wireless carriers are starting to deploy 802.11 hot spots
(to add to their cellular deployments).

However, I don't think oysters have even considered packet transmission
(though no question, location is very important to them).

Dan Greening, Ph.D.  CEO, BigTribe Corporation 
              330 Townsend Street, Suite 209, San Francisco, CA
94107-1662 
              [email-masked]  +1(415)995-7151  fax 995-7155

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 11:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Fwd: [manet] IP addresses in MANET

Oki all,

	

Cheers,
Eric

In my opinion some addressing scheme inspired from Virtual IP would be
really 
useful in MANET framework: we might think to bind real IP addresses to
the 
locality (or to a cluster) and this could reduce most of the network
traffic 
related to routing management. (Routing tables would change with a lower

frequency) 
If the Virtual IP (the name of the node) doesn't change even iin the
case of 
a migration it is possible for the others to track its movement and to
use 
the services it shows as soon as it reconnects somewhere into the MANET.

manet mailing list
[email-masked]