Subject: [Geopriv] review of draft-ietf-geopriv-location-types-registry-01.txt

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:12:41 -0400

I have a few comments on the terms used in this draft:

1) car - it is defined as an automobile in the draft, but in reality  
this is a more general term (e.g. railroad car).  I think  
"automobile" is better.

2) home - this usually indicates where one lives on a permanent  
basis.  I think the better word for the definition given is "residence".

3) library - the definition given library could also apply to  
bookstores, especially more of the modern ones.

4) ship - this is the same as car.  Perhaps "watercraft" is better.

5) mall - you've defined it to mean "shopping mall".  There are other  
meanings to this word, so perhaps "shopping center" is better  
(especially since some people distinguish "shopping malls" from other  
types of shopping centers).  I do think the draft should define  
"mall" in its more original sense as an open, pedestrian area  
inaccessible to vehicles.

6) Should there be a term for government buildings?

-andy

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:38:28 -0400

Andy, thanks for your timely comments. These affect both the type 
registry and the RPID draft, which happens to be in WGLC. Thus, 
'changed' refers to RPID, but the two drafts will be synchronized.

Andrew Newton wrote:
> this is a more general term (e.g. railroad car).  I think  "automobile" 
> is better.

Agreed; changed.

> 
> 2) home - this usually indicates where one lives on a permanent  basis.  
> I think the better word for the definition given is "residence".

Also agreed. We have received input from a person maintaining the US XML 
data dictionary for law enforcement, and they also use this terminology.

> bookstores, especially more of the modern ones.

Good point; I snarfed a dictionary definition that reads

library or other public place
which literary and artistic materials, such as books, periodicals,
newspapers, pamphlets, prints, records, and tapes, are kept for reading,
reference, or lending.

This doesn't quite rule out Borders and Barnes & Noble, but should be 
close enough.

> 4) ship - this is the same as car.  Perhaps "watercraft" is better.

Agreed.

> types of shopping centers).  I do think the draft should define  "mall" 
> in its more original sense as an open, pedestrian area  inaccessible to 
> vehicles.

I think places like the Washington Mall are better described by other 
terms (such as 'public' or 'outdoors'). The dictionary definition is

A large, often enclosed shopping complex containing various stores, 
businesses, and restaurants usually accessible by common passageways.

> 6) Should there be a term for government buildings?

Yes, for courts, parliament buildings, police stations and the like.

If you have additional comments on the items in

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/draft/rpid/draft-ietf-simple-rpid-07.html

let me know.

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:02:13 -0400

On Jul 8, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
> This doesn't quite rule out Borders and Barnes & Noble, but should  
> be close enough.

Well, they don't like to be in the lending business so much as they  
like the selling business. :)

>> 5) mall - you've defined it to mean "shopping mall".  There are  
>> other  meanings to this word, so perhaps "shopping center" is  
>> better  (especially since some people distinguish "shopping malls"  
>> from other  types of shopping centers). I do think the draft  
>> should define  "mall" in its more original sense as an open,  
>> pedestrian area  inaccessible to vehicles.
>>
>
> I think places like the Washington Mall are better described by  
> other terms (such as 'public' or 'outdoors'). The dictionary  
> definition is
>

Well, the word "mall" does come from England where it was apparently  
derived from Pall-Mall.  Anyway, perhaps "park" is better as they are  
not usually for vehicles, except for "carparks" but they are often  
referred to in that manner.

I like "shopping area" as it seems to better describe some of the  
pedestrian free shopping areas found in European cities and could  
still be applied to modern mega-complex indoor shopping malls.

> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/draft/rpid/draft-ietf-simple- 

I like the definitions in there.  Prison is probably a pretty good  
one to have.

-andy

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:09:06 -0400

> like the selling business. :)

The reason I want to not include B&N in the library category is that my 
perception is that cell phone use it wholly socially unacceptable in the 
library, with the stereotypical librarian shushing offenders, while this 
isn't quite as clear-cut in a commercial establishment like a chain 
bookstore.

> referred to in that manner.

Plus, there are industrial and commercial parks; I think 'outdoors' is 
close enough. From a practical perspective, I don't see it making much 
difference whether I'm walking on a sidewalk on 5th Avenue or step into 
Central Park 10' to the left.

> pedestrian free shopping areas found in European cities and could  still 
> be applied to modern mega-complex indoor shopping malls.

I'll use shopping-area.

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:18:47 -0400

On Jul 8, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

>> Well, they don't like to be in the lending business so much as  
>> they  like the selling business. :)
>>
>
> The reason I want to not include B&N in the library category is  
> that my perception is that cell phone use it wholly socially  
> unacceptable in the library, with the stereotypical librarian  
> shushing offenders, while this isn't quite as clear-cut in a  
> commercial establishment like a chain bookstore.

I agree. In case I was not clear, I like the new definition for library.

>> Well, the word "mall" does come from England where it was  
>> apparently  derived from Pall-Mall.  Anyway, perhaps "park" is  
>> better as they are  not usually for vehicles, except for  
>> "carparks" but they are often  referred to in that manner.
>>
>
> Plus, there are industrial and commercial parks; I think 'outdoors'  
> is close enough. From a practical perspective, I don't see it  
> making much difference whether I'm walking on a sidewalk on 5th  
> Avenue or step into Central Park 10' to the left.

And "theme parks".  In the US many people do not differentiate  
between National Parks and National Forests.  And National Parks  
could very well be inside (e.g. Alcatraz).  So you are right,  
"outdoors" is better.

>> still be applied to modern mega-complex indoor shopping malls.

Thanks.  Looks good.

-andy