Subject: [Geopriv] common policy document

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:01:21 +0200

hi all, 

we are currently updating the common policy document. 

one issue that is still not fully clear to me is how to deal with the
issue raised by aki. aki (and jonathan) mentioned that xcap works best
if the xml schema is designed in way that the xml elements in the xml
documents have the following shape: 

(a) <id val="[email-masked]"/>

previously, our xml schema was written in a different way such that the
xml documents looked like:

(b) <id>[email-masked]</id>

here are the open issues: 

1) for which elements should we use approach (a) and for which other
elements should we use approach (b) 
btw, we have already noted in discussions that we will not use approach
(a) everywhere.
2) we need a few lines of text to justify why we use approach (a) for
certain elements and again a different approach for other elements (b) 
it would be good to mention why xcap needs this. i haven't raised this
issue and i do not fully understand why xcap needs this i would like to
ask someone to provide a few lines. 

based on the decision for (1) we need to update the xml schema / xml
documents (=examples) accordingly.

the most recent common-policy draft version can be found at : 
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/TEMP/common-policy/
it still contains the old xml schema and examples that follow appoach
(b). the identity section was updated based on the discussions we had on
the mailing list and at the interim meeting. 
an xml schema that heavily uses approach (a) can be found in the same
directory (along with some examples). 

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:51:23 -0400

It seems that the attribute approach is necessary if you want to replace 
an element. As far as I know, we are only replacing whole rules and it 
seems unlikely that we'd be selecting on anything but identity. However, 
  if you have lists like

<identity>
         <id>[email-masked]</id>
         <id>[email-masked]</id>
       </identity>

I don't see how attributes help here. Can you usefully select on alice 
or bob even if this is rewritten as

<id user="[email-masked]" />
<id user="[email-masked]" />

?