Subject: [Geopriv] Slides for relative location discussion

From: "Marc Linsner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:56:34 -0400

Attached...

-Marc-
_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:25:02 -0400 (EDT)

Mark -

Thanks for the slides. In the geospatial/surveying community, the relative
location example you provided is known as "metes and bounds". For
centuries, location was often computed by stating things like "the corner
of Joe's property begins 50 feet north of the big oak tree". Metes and
bounds are still considered a legal and legitimate method for describing
property locations and boundaries. In the US, we have pretty much switched
to the Public Land Survey. More modern metes and bounds examples tend to
be in relation to some geodetic control benchmark. Believe it or not,
there are software systems that can take a metes and bounds description
and turn them into a coordinate based geometry. A good discussion on metes
and bounds can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metes_and_bounds
and http://users.arn.net/~billco/uslpr3.htm.

Anyway, I am digressing. The point is that metes and bounds are definitely
a legitimate mechanism for expressing relative location. The real issue
is, at least in your case, one case to ask "which elevator" :-) Also, it
is very important that the units of measure are know.

Regards

Carl

Anyway, > Attached...