Subject: [Geopriv] Issue with section in geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-09

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 02:55:02 -0500

I guess I haven't read it this way in the past, but am noticing this 
now. Section 3.4 of draft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-09 is showing 
how "Vanessa" can lie about her location.  This is in stark contrast 
to what this WG agreed to do during the formation of the WG, and I 
haven't read or been part of any discussion within the WG reaching 
consensus that position (different usage ;-) had changed.

Since this ID is discussing the PIDF-LO defined in RFC 4119, it is 
about Presence communications (the P in PIDF-LO). Specifically 
related to section 3.4, a more appropriate solution for Vanessa to 
indicate she doesn't want to be
disturbed using Presence is to indicate "she doesn't want to be 
disturbed", *not* to lie about where she is.

Since this ID is a profile doc (a "how to use" type of doc), I 
believe this subsection is inappropriate for each of the above 
reasons, and should be changed.

James

BTW - it is obvious a device can provide false location, but we 
shouldn't be advocating it or giving any examples of how this is done 
-- especially for a Standards Track document.

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 03:20:28 -0500

Thanks James.

We will correct that.

Cheers
James

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, 9 October 2007 5:55 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Geopriv] Issue with section in geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-09
> 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]