Subject: [Geopriv] [Fwd: [secdir] [New-work] OMA New Work - 1 Work Item Approved]

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:31:32 +0200

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[secdir] [New-work] OMA New Work - 1 Work Item Approved
Date: 	Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:22:59 +0200
From: 	Victoria Gray <[email-masked]>
To: 	<[email-masked]>

Dear All,

OMA would like to inform all the organisations subscribed to the IETF
new-work list of the approval of 1 work item:

1 Location in SIP/IP Core WI:

http://www.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/TP/Permanent_docu
ments/OMA-WID_0149-LOCSIP-V1_1-20070926-A.zip
<http://www.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/TP/Permanent_doc
uments/OMA-WID_0149-LOCSIP-V1_1-20070926-A.zip> 

Background : OMA has developed various enablers related to location. The
MLS enabler has the main purpose to define protocols for exposure of
terminal location to applications but do not define any positioning
determination mechanisms. SUPL on the other hand defines procedures and
protocols for positioning determination of a terminal utilizing an IP
connection between server and terminal. Both enablers are to some extent
prepared for use in a SIP context e.g. by allowing use of SIP-URI
identities. None of them do however support exposure of terminal
location to an application within a SIP/IP core network (one example of
such a network is an IP Multimedia Subsystem). The implication of this
is that a  SIP Application Server needing location information to
enhance its services needs to implement one or more non-SIP interfaces
to Location Servers. By instead defining an interface & procedure using
SIP, additional interface technologies can be avoided and routing and
addressing mechanisms in the SIP/IP Core as well as existing SIP based
OMA enablers (such as XDM) can be reused.

Objective: The purpose of this work item is to specify a service enabler
for exposing location information to applications in a SIP/IP core
network (e.g. an IP Multimedia Subsystem). The service enabler is to be
specified as a reusable network component in a SIP/IP core network,
capable of receiving and responding to location subscriptions over a
standardised SIP-based interface. Handling of the location specific
functions within a SIP/IP core is to be specified but positioning
determination functions within SIP/IP core are out of scope. The LOCSIP
enabler will take into account the OMA MLS enabler. 

Due to the importance of preserving the privacy of location information
a security analysis shall be performed before finalization of the
requirement document and identified issues shall be documented in
appropriate enabler documents.

The enabler shall specifically consider interworking with other OMA
enablers that potentially utilize location information e.g. Presence
SIMPLE and PoC. The resulting specification shall preferably reuse
available IETF specifications e.g. IETF Geopriv deliverables. 

Location in SIP/IP core enabler implementations may interwork with
applicable positioning determination functions in access networks and/or
at UE. Possible positioning determination functions depend on support in
IP-CAN and UEs, but are expected to at least include 3GPP/3GPP2 LCS and
OMA SUPL (Secure User Plane Location).

This work item has been allocated to the OMA LOC (Location WG) for
specification development.

Best regards,

Victoria Gray on behalf of OMA.

Victoria Gray
FORApolis / DSO
Tel +33 (0)4 92 94 49 23
Fax +33 (0)4 92 38 49 23
GSM +33 (0)6 73 99 62 90
[email-masked]
 
MSN: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Yahoo!: bluevicci
Skype: victoria-gray  Google: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv