Subject: [GROW] I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 01:30:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA)
	Author(s)       : P. Francis, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-02.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2011-03-02

The continued growth in the Default Free Routing Table (DFRT)
stresses the global routing system in a number of ways.  One of the
most costly stresses is FIB size: ISPs often must upgrade router
hardware simply because the FIB has run out of space, and router
vendors must design routers that have adequate FIB.  FIB suppression
is an approach to relieving stress on the FIB by NOT loading selected
RIB entries into the FIB.  Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA) is a
simple form of Virtual Aggregation (VA) that allows any and all edge
routers to shrink their FIB requirements substantially and therefore
increase their useful lifetime.  S-VA does not change FIB
requirements for core routers.  S-VA is extremely easy to
configure---considerably more so than the various tricks done today
to extend the life of edge routers.  S-VA can be deployed
autonomously by an ISP (cooperation between ISPs is not required),
and can co-exist with legacy routers in the ISP.  There are no
changes from the 01 version to this version.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "George, Wes E [NTK]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:21:02 +0000

As requested by the authors, I have completed a review of this draft.

Generally, I would recommend that you reduce the amount of overlap and reused
text between the VA drafts. It's better to reference the other I-D for general
explanation of VA in general, and then use this draft to specifically cover what
is different in the implementation of Simple VA. 

Also, there are many places in this draft where normatives are used and not
capitalized. I won't list them all here, but you need to review this and either
reword if a normative is not intended or capitalize if it is.

With these changes, I believe that this draft is much closer to being ready for
WGLC.

Wes George

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [GROW] I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the
IETF.

The continued growth in the Default Free Routing Table (DFRT) stresses the
global routing system in a number of ways.  One of the most costly stresses is
FIB size: ISPs often must upgrade router hardware simply because the FIB has run
out of space, and router vendors must design routers that have adequate FIB.
FIB suppression is an approach to relieving stress on the FIB by NOT loading
selected RIB entries into the FIB.  Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA) is a
simple form of Virtual Aggregation (VA) that allows any and all edge routers to
shrink their FIB requirements substantially and therefore increase their useful
lifetime.  S-VA does not change FIB requirements for core routers.  S-VA is
extremely easy to configure---considerably more so than the various tricks done
today to extend the life of edge routers.  S-VA can be deployed autonomously by
an ISP (cooperation between ISPs is not required), and can co-exist with legacy
routers in the ISP.  There are no changes from the 01 version to this version.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader implementation
to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the Internet-Draft.