Subject: [GROW] I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 08:57:16 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA)
	Author(s)       : Robert Raszuk
                          Alton Lo
                          Lixia Zhang
                          Xiaohu Xu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-03.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2011-07-04

   The continued growth in the Default Free Routing Table (DFRT)
   stresses the global routing system in a number of ways.  One of the
   most costly stresses is FIB size: ISPs often must upgrade router
   hardware simply because the FIB has run out of space, and router
   vendors must design routers that have adequate FIB.

   FIB suppression is an approach to relieving stress on the FIB by NOT
   loading selected RIB entries into the FIB.  Simple Virtual
   Aggregation (S-VA) is a simple form of Virtual Aggregation (VA) that
   allows any and all edge routers to shrink their RIB and FIB
   requirements substantially and therefore increase their useful
   lifetime.

   S-VA does not increase FIB requirements for core routers.  S-VA is
   extremely easy to configure considerably more so than the various
   tricks done today to extend the life of edge routers.  S-VA can be
   deployed autonomously by an ISP (cooperation between ISPs is not
   required), and can co-exist with legacy routers in the ISP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-03.txt