Subject: Re: [GROW] Call for GROW WG adoption of grow-overlapping-routes

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:43:07 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>

    >> Overall, then, it is desirable to remove overlapping routes from the
    >> global routing table where possible.

    > People inject prefixes into the DFZ for specific reasons. If they are
    > pruned by some upstream providers but not others, then the traffic
    > engineering model is broken because you can no longer depend on
    > more-specifics having visibility around the dfz.

Doing traffic engineering by injecting more-specifics into the global
destination-vector routing is a top pick on my list of 'optimal illustration
for hammer-nail syndrome'. So if we break that approach, that's not a bug,
that's a feature.

Of course, doing traffic engineering 'right' would involve getting rid of
this archaic, creaky destination-vector routing architecture, and that is
going to be a huge project.

But in the meantime, there are approaches that are create slightly less
overhead for everyone in the entire system: e.g. using the identity/location
binding layer - there are several choices available at the moment. They're
just as ugly (architecturally), but at least fewer entities have to bear the
overhead costs (which are less in toto, too).

	Noel

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:01:12 -0400

> for hammer-nail syndrome'. So if we break that approach, that's not a bug,

Sez you -- but there are a large number of folk that are currently doing this, and doing this for a reason, and will no doubt be very surprised when it suddenly stops working…

Removing their ability to use this "feature" because it violates your (and to honest, my) views of elegance seems, um, impolite at best.

> going to be a huge project.

Yup.

> binding layer - there are several choices available at the moment.

Deployed ones? That I can actually use, now?

> They're

W

> 
> 	Noel
> _______________________________________________
> GROW mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow
> 

--
What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Pyramids)