Subject: [GROW] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-cardona-filtering-threats-00.txt

From: Pierre Francois <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:50:21 +0200

Dear grow and idr members,

Recent talks at network operators group meetings, as well as proposals 
at the IETF, acknowledge the need of operators to filter overlapping 
prefixes (be it to reduce their routing table size or their bill).

This document lists various cases where a filtering of overlapping 
prefixes performed within one AS triggers a violation of the policies 
that other ASes implement in their network. The simplicity of those 
cases motivated us to warn operators for the risks associated with such 
filtering, as they seem likely to happen if overlapping prefix filtering 
is becoming an habit rather than a punctual, exceptionally applied measure.

This draft acknowledges the motivation for such filtering, and thus 
tries to foster attention on the potential risks from ISPs and vendors 
applying, planning to apply, or designing routing features to facilitate 
such filtering.

The draft covers cases where the filtering is performed locally by an 
AS, as well as cases where the filtering is triggered remotely through 
the use of BGP communities commonly defined for that purpose.

We would like to adapt this initial draft based on the comments and 
feedback received from you, before presenting it at the next IETF meeting.

Regards,

Pierre Francois.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	I-D Action: draft-cardona-filtering-threats-00.txt
Date: 	Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:21:46 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Making BGP filtering an habit: Impact on policies
	Author(s)       : Pierre Francois
                           Camilo Cardona
	Filename        : draft-cardona-filtering-threats-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2012-09-25

Abstract:
    This draft describes potential threats to the Internet routing
    policies of an autonomous system due to filtering of more specific
    BGP prefixes by its neighboring domains.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cardona-filtering-threats

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cardona-filtering-threats-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt