Subject: [GROW] AD Review of draft-ietf-grow-bgp-session-culling

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 18:55:00 -0400

Hi there,

I've just completed my AD review of draft-ietf-grow-bgp-session-culling.

I only had a few small nits:

Section 3:
"Involuntary BGP Session Teardown: The Caretaker of the lower layer
  network disrupts BGP control-plane traffic in the upper layer,
  causing the BGP Hold Timers of the affected BGP session to expire,"
-- it took me a few readings to parse this sentence -- I think that
the "in the upper layer" is redundant and confuses the sentence.
I think just removing it and

"Involuntary BGP Session Teardown:  The Caretaker of the lower layer
  network disrupts (higher layer) BGP control-plane traffic,
  causing the BGP Hold Timers of the affected BGP session to expire,..." ?

2: Section 3.2. Involuntary BGP Session Teardown Recommendations
"Such culling of control-plane traffic will pre-empt the" - s/pre-empt/preempt/

3: I really like the fact that this has actual exmaple config. I think
it would be nice it if also included some more vendors.

Anyway, I'm fine to start IETF LC like this, but it you are able to
post a new version I think things might go smoother.

Please let me know either way.
W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:57:56 +0200

Dear Warren,

>   causing the BGP Hold Timers of the affected BGP session to expire,..." ?

works for me!

> "Such culling of control-plane traffic will pre-empt the" - s/pre-empt/preempt/

Thanks

> it would be nice it if also included some more vendors.

Even more?! We already have config for four vendors in the Internet-Draft itself. :-)

There also is a link to https://github.com/bgp/bgp-session-culling-config-examples which is a
more 'live' version which can be updated as we go. The github repo
currently has 7 platforms, and perhaps over time will grow based on
contributions.

The configuration example in the Internet-Draft itself mostly serves to
demonstrate the concept in the universal language other than English:
router configs. The example configs are not meant to be an exhaustive
overview.

> Please let me know either way.

Sure, I'll bump.

Kind regards,

Job

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 12:16:22 -0400

> Even more?! We already have config for four vendors in the Internet-Draft itself. :-)

Your counting and my counting differ:
A.1.  Cisco IOS, IOS XR & Arista EOS Firewall Example Configuration
A.2.  Nokia SR OS Filter Example Configuration

Are you counting IOS and IOS XR as 2 vendors? :-P

Anyway, as I said, I really like the examples, and the GH solution WFM.

>> Please let me know either way.

Okey dokey. I'll hit the go button when you do - please poke me if I
happen to miss it.
W

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 12:17:09 -0400

> Okey dokey. I'll hit the go button when you do - please poke me if I

... and I just saw the New Version email -- I'll hit "go" once it propagates.
W

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 16:23:55 +0000

> Are you counting IOS and IOS XR as 2 vendors? :-P

You are right, it's 4 platforms, 3 vendors.

Cool, thanks!

Kind regards,

Job