Subject: [GROW] I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 16:33:56 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Well-Known Community Policy Behavior
        Authors         : Jay Borkenhagen
                          Randy Bush
                          Ron Bonica
                          Serpil Bayraktar
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-02.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2019-01-22

Abstract:
   Well-Known BGP Communities are manipulated inconsistently by current
   implementations.  This results in difficulties for operators.
   Network operators are encouraged to deploy consistent community
   handling across their networks, taking the inconsistent behaviors
   from the various bgp implementations they operate into consideration.
   Also, bgp implementors are expected to not create any further
   inconsistencies from this point forward.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Jay Borkenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 20:05:40 -0500

Hello GROW,

The draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-02.txt just posted makes very few
very small changes w.r.t. -01:

 https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-02.txt

- We introduce the nomenclature of 'the "set" directive' instead of
  using "set community" or "community set" when speaking in general
  terms, addressing a comment from Jakob Heitz.

- We slightly re-worded Section 6. "Action Items" in response to
  comments raised by Job Snijders, adopting suggested wording from
  John Heasley.  (Thanks, Heas.)

Regarding David Farmer's suggestion that RFC1997 needs to be updated:
speaking for myself, I would be satisfied leaving RFC1997 as-is while
this draft documents RFC1997's shortcomings.  Anyone with strong
feelings to the contrary may write that draft.

Thanks!

						Jay B.

[email-masked] writes:
 > _______________________________________________
 > GROW mailing list
 > [email-masked]
 > https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

---

From: David Farmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:18:11 -0600

> feelings to the contrary may write that draft.

Thinking this through a little more there are two separate issues that seem
to be treated as one;

1.  I suggested changing "MUST NOT be advertised" to "SHOULD NOT be
advertised" in the definition of the three Well-Known Communities provided
in RFC 1997.

  a. Since BGP Communities are advisory in the first place, an absolute
prohibition seems out of place, especially when the default "set" directive
by most implementations results in the behavior that is prohibited by the
statement.

  b. While I think it would be a good idea to fix this now, if that doesn't
happen, I can live with it the way it is.

2. However separately, if this document doesn't provide a meta-data link
updating RFC 1997, or a reference to this document is not somehow included
in the IANA Well-Known Communities Registry, how are implementers of RFC
1997 BGP Community to know they "MUST ensure that any Well-Known
Communities specified after this document's publication are removed by
their "set" directive."  By my understanding, this new requirment is
updating RFC 1997, so a meta-data linkage is warranted in my mind, even
without #1 above.

Thanks.

-- 
===============================================
David Farmer               Email:[email-masked]
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952
===============================================