Subject: RE: GSMPv3 review

From: Wang Shiming <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:29:59 +0530

hi, Mr. balaji:
	you said in you mail  that each Port Record should contain
  the Event Sequence Number and the Event Flags for that port because this
section allows the controller to rapidly synchronize with the switch. How can this be done? To controller,  What's the use of shuch information as Event Number, and Event Flag? How will the controller process these information? BTW, should the switch hardware keep the event flag and Event Sequenct Number for every port? If these two are keeped in Gsmp slave's software, I don't know how your suggestion will allow quickly synchronization. Could you give me some instruction?  
					Thanks in Advance!
							wangs

>>Apart from this the whole of section 3 of
>>>>draft-sydir-cplane-gsmp-enhancements-00 has not been considered. This
>>section allows the controller to rapidly synchronize with the switch
>>as far as port status and events that happened in the time during
>>which communication between switch and controller was down.

---

From: Balaji Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:54:31 -0800 (PST)

>   the Event Sequence Number and the Event Flags for that port because
> this section allows the controller to rapidly synchronize with the
> switch. How can this be done? To controller, What's the use of shuch
> information as Event Number, and Event Flag? How will the controller
> process these information? BTW, should the switch hardware keep the
> event flag and Event Sequenct Number for every port? If these two are
> keeped in Gsmp slave's software, I don't know how your suggestion will
> allow quickly synchronization. Could you give me some instruction?

The reason we want each port record to contain the event sequence number
and the event flags is so that the controller knows which events it has
missed in the time during which the communication to the switch was
down. In the current GSMP spec since this information is not included
the controller on noticing that the port session number has changed
has to issue a port management pdu to find out what the event flags are
and then maybe another to reset the flags. Since this has to be done for
each port that the port session number has changed it becomes problematic
if another event happens in the meantime. The slave anyway is required to
keep this information

I hope this clears some of the confusion. Please let me know if i can
clarify it further
thanks
blalaji