Subject: [fmc] New Version Notification for draft-schott-fmc-requirements-01.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:28:13 +0200

Hi all,

we have posted a new version of draft-schott-fmc-requirements-01.txt.
Sophie Durel and Hasnaa Moustafa are now editors, too.
We have added a section about streaming.
Please use this version for further discussion on the list.

Regards

Roland

-------

A new version of I-D, draft-schott-fmc-requirements-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Roland Schott and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-schott-fmc-requirements
Revision:        01
Title:           Requirements on Fixed Mobile Convergence
Creation date:   2012-06-12
WG ID:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 11
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schott-fmc-requirements-01.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schott-fmc-requirements
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/submission.filename }}-01
Diff:            http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-schott-fmc-requirements-01

Abstract:
   This document provides a brief overview of the FMC (Fixed Mobile
   Convergence) architecture and related works.  The purpose of the
   document is to sketch a big picture for the FMC activity to ease
   identifying whether specification effort is required within IETF.
   This document identifies and analyzes some of issues that have arisen
   so far and elaborates a set of requirements for the FMC system.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:50:19 -0700

Hello folks,

I have some comments on the new draft.

First, I think it would be better to focus on network attachment and 
mobility
aspects of the problem.  We don't need to include network discovery and
selection as part of the FMC problem.  For example, we could limit ourselves
to making a solution that enables the desirable FMC outcomes based on
the presumption that the access networks are already determined.

This fits naturally with the way that a candidate access network is first
discovered before the attachment (or handover) is initiated.

I am also worried about bundling in content adaptation as part of the
problem space.  This was mentioned at the IETF 83 Bar BoF.  There, it
was suggested that the IETF might specify some means of transporting
content adaptation commands, without specifying the commands
themselves.  That is much more reasonable, but I'd still suggest that
we could profitably delay that part of the solution until we at least
figure out how to authenticate and attach devices to the candidate
access networks.

Similar comments apply to streaming.

Finally, I think that we should not be limited to only the solutions
for HOST_ID that are enumerated in ietf-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 6/12/2012 11:28 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> fmc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fmc
>
>

-- 
Regards,
Charlie P.