Subject: [fmc] Upcoming BoF in Atlanta

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:14:16 -0400

All,
      It appears that there may be some confusion about the BoF 
scheduled for Atlanta.  I want to make sure that everyone understands 
that the purpose of this BoF is not to form a WG at this time.  The 
primary goal is to tighten the description of one or two key work items 
that could serve as the basis for a proposed WG.  The original BoF 
proposal was too broad, covered too many areas within the IETF, and the 
interactions between the IETF and other SDOs were not well defined.

      I recommend that FMC proponents encourage their IETF colleagues to 
participate in the BoF so that a well-structured and coherent problem 
statement can be developed.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:52:29 -0700

Dear Brian, 

Sincerely thanks for your kind clarification, and it is truly helpful for 
me. 

As myself is very actively participating in both 3GPP and BBF on the FMC 
related subject.  One thing certainly would be very helpful to me is to 
understand if there is any specific requirement "directly" requested from 
either 3GPP or BBF or both to IETF on this specific work item because I 
hear the opponents for this FMC continuing advocate the need to solve the 
issue for 3GPP and BBF.  By just referring to the presentation from other 
SDOs, IMHO, is kind of misleading, because we often submit technical draft 
to IETF to develop a solution without the need for introducing a new WG. 

Hence, I sincerely look for your guidance to understand better for what 
circumstance that a new WG is justifiable for this subject, especially 
when there is no direct request or LS from external SDO to request such 
FMC WG to address the issue, if there is any? 

Thanks in advance for your kind advice. 
Tricci 

Brian Haberman <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
10/18/2012 12:14 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
[fmc] Upcoming BoF in Atlanta

All,

Regards,
Brian
_______________________________________________
fmc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fmc

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail (and any attachment transmitted herewith) is privileged and confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  If you are not an intended recipient, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of the information contained is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this mail in error, please delete it and notify us immediately.

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:14:28 -0400

Hi Tricci,

> to IETF to develop a solution without the need for introducing a new WG.

There has not been a direct request, via a liaison statement, requesting 
the IETF to work on these issues.  The justification has been with the 
presentation made during the 3GPP/BBF workshop.

http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/workshop/2011-11-09_3GPP_BBF_SFO/Docs/3BF-11046.zip

> FMC WG to address the issue, if there is any?

At this point, I am trying to judge: 1) whether there is actual work to 
be done in this space, 2) how that potential work relates to the INT 
Area, 3) what constituency is going to do the work, and 4) who is the 
actual customer.

To that end, I expect the proponents to be able to crisply define 1 or 2 
key issues that can be the turned into the basis of a WG charter 
proposal.  In addition, they should be able to clearly define how they 
will interact with other SDOs to ensure they are performing useful work.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:26:24 -0700

Dear Brian,

Thank you for kind feedback to answer my question precisely, despite my 
bad English for mis-spelling "proponents" with "opponents". 

Your clarifications are truly great education to me to understand better 
of the IETF BOF process.  Sincerely thanks.
Tricci 

10/19/2012 05:14 AM

To
[email-masked]
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
Re: [fmc] Upcoming BoF in Atlanta

Hi Tricci,

Regards,
Brian