Subject: [Hipsec] Chartering work on HIP-based overlays

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:58:37 +0300

Folks,

as you know, HIP has gotten a lot of attention from people building 
overlays (e.g., the P2PSIP WG folks). It seems that we are missing a set 
of specifications describing how to build HIP-based overlays. With those 
specifications in place, the set of people interested in HIP could grow 
dramatically. As we mentioned in our last face-to-face meeting, we would 
like to ask our area directors to charter us to do that work.

In principle, we would need the following deliverables:

o Framework to build HIP-based overlays.
o How to generate ORCHIDs from a Peer ID defined by a peer protocol.
o How to carry certificates in the base exchange.
o Lightweight messages to carry upper-layer data.

Additionally, we may need to work on the following items at some point:

o Something related to delegation.
o Use of SRTP to secure traffic.

We would like to know if somebody objects to working on the deliverables 
above. Additionally, we would like to get feedback on the additional 
deliverables above. Is it something we want to work on right now, or 
maybe our plates will be full for now and we want to tackle those 
additional deliverables at a later point?

Thanks,

Gonzalo
HIP co-chair
_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec

---

From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:48:45 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 4:59 AM
> To: HIP
> Subject: [Hipsec] Chartering work on HIP-based overlays
> 
> Folks,
> 

More generally, I might replace "Peer ID" with "other node identifiers"

> o Lightweight messages to carry upper-layer data.

Can you provide more specifics on what you have in mind for the last
bullet?  Messages that occur outside of the context of a base exchange?

> additional deliverables at a later point?

+1 on adding this scope to our charter; I think it is important for HIP
deployment.

Tom

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:04:06 +0200

Gonzalo,

While I generally very much agree with this direction, I think it  
would be useful to combine two of your proposed items into a single,  
more general item.  Namely, I would combine

> o Something related to delegation.

into a more general draft that discusses how one can create HIs (and  
eventually ORCHIDs) from other identifiers, including both  
cryptographic ones (leading to cryptographic delegation) and non- 
cryptographic ones (such as Peer IDs).  I don't see any fundamental  
architectural difference between these, and much of the needed  
machinery is likely to be exactly the same.

What comes to the other items, I'd be more careful about the wording  

> o Lightweight messages to carry upper-layer data.

I would generalise this to carrying any upper-layer data over  
specified HIP packets, including UPDATE, perhaps some new packet  
type, and probably also I2 and R2.  R1 needs some further study, and  
I'm almost convinced that we do *not* want to carry any additional  
data on I1, but maybe there are optimisations (e.g. with TCP) that  
may change my mind.  But perhaps the latter ones are better left of  
to another draft, to be completed once the basic one is (almost) ready.

--Pekka

> As you know, HIP has gotten a lot of attention from people building

---

From: Andrei Gurtov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:19:59 +0300

I think it's very important and topical work.
+1.

Andrei

Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
| Folks,
|
| as you know, HIP has gotten a lot of attention from people building
| overlays (e.g., the P2PSIP WG folks). It seems that we are missing a set
| of specifications describing how to build HIP-based overlays. With those
| specifications in place, the set of people interested in HIP could grow
| dramatically. As we mentioned in our last face-to-face meeting, we would
| like to ask our area directors to charter us to do that work.
|
| In principle, we would need the following deliverables:
|
| o Framework to build HIP-based overlays.
| o How to generate ORCHIDs from a Peer ID defined by a peer protocol.
| o How to carry certificates in the base exchange.
| o Lightweight messages to carry upper-layer data.
|
| Additionally, we may need to work on the following items at some point:
|
| o Something related to delegation.
| o Use of SRTP to secure traffic.
|
| We would like to know if somebody objects to working on the deliverables
| above. Additionally, we would like to get feedback on the additional
| deliverables above. Is it something we want to work on right now, or
| maybe our plates will be full for now and we want to tackle those
| additional deliverables at a later point?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Gonzalo
| HIP co-chair
| _______________________________________________
| Hipsec mailing list
| [email-masked]
| https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec