Subject: [Hipsec-rg] FW: RFC 5207 on NAT and Firewall Traversal Issues of Host IdentityProtocol (HIP) Communication
From: thomas.r.henderson at boeing.com (Henderson, Thomas R)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:41:50 -0700

FYI, 
In case you may have missed the below announcement, the NAT and firewall
traversal draft was finally published as an RFC, through the IRTF
publication track.  Thanks to all who participated in developing and
reviewing this RFC along the way. 

- Tom 

-----Original Message-----
From: rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org [mailto:rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org] 
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 4:04 PM
To: ietf-announce at ietf.org; rfc-dist at rfc-editor.org
Cc: rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org
Subject: RFC 5207 on NAT and Firewall Traversal Issues of Host Identity
Protocol (HIP) Communication

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5207

        Title:      NAT and Firewall Traversal Issues 
                    of Host Identity Protocol (HIP) Communication 
        Author:     M. Stiemerling, J. Quittek, L. Eggert
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       April 2008
        Mailbox:    stiemerling at netlab.nec.de, 
                    quittek at nw.neclab.eu, 
                    lars.eggert at nokia.com
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27873
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-hiprg-nat-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5207.txt

The Host Identity Protocol (HIP) changes the way in which two
Internet hosts communicate.  One key advantage over other schemes is
that HIP does not require modifications to the traditional network-
layer functionality of the Internet, i.e., its routers.  In the
current Internet, however, many devices other than routers modify the
traditional network-layer behavior of the Internet.  These
"middleboxes" are intermediary devices that perform functions other
than the standard functions of an IP router on the datagram path
between source and destination hosts.  Whereas some types of
middleboxes may not interfere with HIP at all, others can affect some
aspects of HIP communication, and others can render HIP communication
impossible.  This document discusses the problems associated with HIP
communication across network paths that include specific types of
middleboxes, namely, network address translators and firewalls.  It
identifies and discusses issues in the current HIP specifications
that affect communication across these types of middleboxes.  This
document is a product of the IRTF HIP Research Group.  This memo
provides 
information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IRTF Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet
community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to IETF-REQUEST at IETF.ORG.  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to RFC-DIST-REQUEST at RFC-EDITOR.ORG.

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to rfc-info at RFC-EDITOR.ORG with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: rfc-info at RFC-EDITOR.ORG
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to RFC-Manager at RFC-EDITOR.ORG.  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
RFC-EDITOR at RFC-EDITOR.ORG.  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
IETF-Announce at ietf.org
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce