Subject: [Hipsec] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-moskowitz-hip-rfc5201-bis-01

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:34:43 -0500

I don't know why this has not appeared here, but thanks Tobias for what 
you have done the past few weeks.

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 7:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-moskowitz-hip-rfc5201-bis-01

A new version of I-D, draft-moskowitz-hip-rfc5201-bis-01.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Tobias Heer and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-moskowitz-hip-rfc5201-bis
Revision:	 01
Title:		 Host Identity Protocol
Creation_date:	 2010-03-09
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 105

Abstract:
This document specifies the details of the Host Identity Protocol
(HIP).  HIP allows consenting hosts to securely establish and
maintain shared IP-layer state, allowing separation of the identifier
and locator roles of IP addresses, thereby enabling continuity of
communications across IP address changes.  HIP is based on a Sigma-
compliant Diffie-Hellman key exchange, using public key identifiers
from a new Host Identity namespace for mutual peer authentication.
The protocol is designed to be resistant to denial-of-service (DoS)
and man-in-the-middle (MitM) attacks.  When used together with
another suitable security protocol, such as the Encapsulated Security
Payload (ESP), it provides integrity protection and optional
encryption for upper-layer protocols, such as TCP and UDP.

This document obsoletes RFC 5201 and addresses the concerns raised by
the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility.  It also incorporates
lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 5201.

The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Tobias Heer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 17:48:27 +0100

Hi, 

I would like to add the change-log for the draft:

Change-log draft-moskowitz-RFC5201-bis-01
----------------------------------------
* Extended protocol overview to include restart option
* Extended state machine to include restart option because of
  unsupported Algorithms
* Replaced SHA-1 with SHA-256 for required implementation
* Added OGA list parameter (715) for detecting the Responder's set of OGAs
* Added Appendix on ORCHID use in HITs
* Added truncated SHA-256 option for HITs
* Added truncated SHA-1 option for HITs
* Added text about new ORCHID structure to HIT overview
* Moved Editor role to Robert Moskowitz
* Added SHA-256 to puzzle parameter
* Generalized LTRUNC to be hash-function agnostic
* Added text about RHASH depending on OGA

With these changes we are currently at step 1 of the following crypto agility roadmap:
1) Crypto agility for the HIT
2) Improved crypto agility for the signature algorithm and the HI
3) Improved crypto agility for DH
4) Definition of new algorithms for use in 1, 2, and 3
 
Hence, the submitted draft (version 01) is far from complete and should be understood as an initial step towards crypto agility.

Am 09.03.2010 um 17:34 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:

> I don't know why this has not appeared here,

I think this is because it is an individual submission. These are not sent to the WG mailing lists automatically.

BR, 

Tobias

--  

Dipl.-Inform. Tobias Heer, Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Group 
RWTH Aachen University, Germany
tel: +49 241 80 207 76
web: http://ds.cs.rwth-aachen.de/members/heer