Subject: [Hipsec] Fwd: WG Action: RECHARTER: Host Identity Protocol (hip)

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:57:36 +0300

Hi,

as you can see, we have just been rechartered. Now, we have an
aggressive time plan ahead of us (look at the milestone dates in the
charter).

Cheers,

Gonzalo

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Host Identity Protocol (hip)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:54:36 +0200
From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
To: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, Gonzalo Camarillo
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

The Host Identity Protocol (hip) working group in the Internet Area of the
IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please contact the
Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Host Identity Protocol (hip)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  David Ward <[email-masked]>
  Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe:       http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec
  Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hipsec/

The Host Identity Protocol (HIP) provides a method of separating the
end-point identifier and locator roles of IP addresses. It introduces
a new Host Identity (HI) name space, based on public keys, from which
end-point identifiers are taken. The public keys are typically, but
not necessarily, self generated.  HIP uses existing IP addressing and
forwarding for locators and packet delivery.

The architecture and protocol details for these mechanisms are
currently specified in the following Experimental RFCs:

o HIP Architecture (RFC 4423)
o Host Identity Protocol (RFC 5201)

There are several publicly known interoperating implementations, some
of which are open source.

The HIP WG was chartered to publish protocol specifications in
documents whose quality and security properties would meet the
requirements for publication as standards track documents.  These
specifications have been published as Experimental RFCs, because the
effects of the protocol on applications and on the Internet as a whole
were unknown.

The Experimental RFCs produced by the HIP WG allowed the community to
experiment with HIP technologies and learn from these experiments.
The HIP WG will now produce standards track versions of the main HIP
RFCs taking as a base the existing Experimental RFCs. The WG will also
specify certificate handling in HIP in a standards track RFC.

Additionally, the WG will finish the WG items it was working on before
starting the standards track work. These WG items relate to how to
build HIP-based overlays and will result in Experimental RFCs.

The following are charter items for the working group:

o Revise RFCs 4423, 4843, 5201, 5202, 5203, 5204, 5205, 5206, and 5770
  as standards track RFCs.

o Specify in a standards track RFC how to carry certificates in the
  base exchange. This was removed from the base HIP spec so that the
  mechanism is specified in a stand-alone spec.

o Specify in an Experimental RFC how to build a HIP-based overlay
  using RELOAD.

o Specify in an Experimental RFC how to transport HIP messages over
  encrypted connections that were established using HIP.

Goals and Milestones

Done     Submit Native API specification to the IESG
Done     Submit Framework for HIP overlays specification to the IESG
Done     Submit Multi-hop routing mechanism for HIP
Done     Submit Upper-layer data transport in HIP to the IESG
Sep 2010 WGLC Certs in HIP base exchange specification
Sep 2010 WGLC RFC4423bis
Sep 2010 WGLC RFC4843bis
Sep 2010 WGLC RFC5201bis
Sep 2010 WGLC RFC5202bis
Oct 2010 Submit Certs in HIP base exchange specification to the IESG
Oct 2010 Submit RFC4423bis to the IESG
Oct 2010 Submit RFC4843bis to the IESG
Oct 2010 Submit RFC5201bis to the IESG
Oct 2010 Submit RFC5202bis to the IESG
Dec 2010 WGLC RFC5203bis
Dec 2010 WGLC RFC5204bis
Dec 2010 WGLC RFC5205bis
Dec 2010 WGLC the mobility portion of RFC5206bis
Jan 2011 Submit RFC5203bis to the IESG
Jan 2011 Submit RFC5204bis to the IESG
Jan 2011 Submit RFC5205bis to the IESG
Jan 2011 Submit the mobility portion of RFC5206bis to the IESG
Feb 2011 WGLC RFC5770bis
Feb 2011 WGLC the multihoming portion of RFC5206bis
Mar 2011 Submit RFC5770bis to the IESG
Mar 2011 Submit the multihoming portion of RFC5206bis to the IESG
Apr 2011 Recharter or close the WG