Subject: [HOKEY] consensus call: key delivery security protocol

From: Charles Clancy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:32:36 -0400

Related issue: #28

The current key distribution document describes protocols that require a 
shared key between the server and third party.  According to RFC 4107, 
we are required to specify how those keys are provisioned.  The result 
was 3 options:

#1: convert the current protocol into one that uses hop-by-hop security 
with channel bindings based on AAA

#2: define a protocol to provision keys, as necessary, between AAA 
servers and any remote AAA client that needs a pairwise key for 
end-to-end security

#3: use something like cross-realm Kerberos to provide the necessary 
cryptographics to improve upon hop-by-hop security

An initial hum eliminated option #2.  A vote for options #1 and #3 
yielded 23 in favor of #1 and 11 in favor of #3.  This email is to 
confirm the consensus in the room during the meeting.

Please comment by August 2.

-- 
t. charles clancy, ph.d.  <>  [email-masked]  <>  eng.umd.edu/~tcc
adjunct professor, electrical engineering, university of maryland

_______________________________________________
HOKEY mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hokey