Subject: Re: [homenet] Homenet Architecture & Interim Meeting

From: Ray Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:38:36 +0200

>  The example of electric meters is a trivial one but the same can 
apply to other things.

I can assure you that the requirements and IT issues surrounding smart 
electric meters are far from "trivial."

You talk about "the electric company" being singular and monolithic. In 
reality there are many separate parties with interests in obtaining 
access to that data and controlling that meter (the home owner, multiple 
production/ delivery companies, meter data management company, meter 
management company, high voltage distribution company, medium voltage 
distribution company, regulators, micro generation .... ) That can add 
up to 15 different roles, and many different message types.

See e.g. /EBSII White Paper: "Smart European Energy Architecture"

or

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CC0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.esmig.eu%2Fnewsstor%2Fnews-file-store%2FEU-MeteringV4.pdf%2Fat_download%2Ffile&rct=j&q=EBSII%20White%20Paper%3A%20%E2%80%9CSmart%20European%20Energy%20Architecture%E2%80%9D&ei=JZ-STvnTLMmg-wbm6qHTCg&usg=AFQjCNGpFWhNfa1HeBA24wlVPwLEFB0T6A&sig2=CT0FCDXVmniyxMoSup9SPw&cad=rja

regards,
RayH

/

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:02:33 -0700

> http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CC0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.esmig.eu%2Fnewsstor%2Fnews-file-store%2FEU-MeteringV4.pdf%2Fat_download%2Ffile&rct=j&q=EBSII%20White%20Paper%3A%20%E…

OK - modify that statement to: The example *as stated* of electric
meters is a trivial one but the same can apply to other things.
*However never underestimate an industry's ability to make a simple
problem highly complex*.  :-)

Either way the mess the electrical industry is making for itself is
out of scope here.

Curtis