Subject: [homenet] scope questions as a result of interium meeting

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:16:53 -0400

For those that weren't present today, the meeting space (The Hub) had
mostly unuseable natwork today.  I measured 50-70% packet loss
(curiously, my managed IPv6 tunnel had 20% less loss)... and I mostly
could not sustain a TCP connection long enough to even get email.

I don't know what kind of network connection or what kind of wifi
access point, or what kind of router they have there.  The reason I ask,
is because 70% chance that it was really a "consumer" grade, and I might
even bet that it was running some WRT variation.  It didn't get fixed
during the day, nor do I know if the problem was even local.

The reason I say all of this, is that we were sitting there, a room full
of the smartest network geeks around, and we were 100% powerless to do
anything.  We couldn't even find out what was wrong, let alone fix 
attempt to fix anything.    This situation is kinda useful as a common
data point for failures: how would our proposed solution have faired?
If the problem wasn't local, would our proposed multi-ISP solution have
helped?   Would happy-eyeballs have kept us happy?

So I'm curious what the problem was, why it took more than 1-2 hours to
resolve.

The second question I have is deeper:  we had at least 10 smartphones
with 3G+wifi connectivity.  I wasn't going to volunteer mine due to
excessive cost of international roaming data rates, but many were 
locals.  We had a common "LAN" (the THEHUBPUBLIC wifi)... if we had had
running code available... could we, the doctor, have healthed ourselves?

So, perhaps it is more clear to some, why I keep going on about the fact
that due to smartphones, pretty much EVERY HOME is a multi-ISP home.

(Imagine that eh, running ospfv3 in your pocket?)

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 01:28:21 +0000

On 7 Oct 2011, at 20:16, Michael Richardson wrote:
> even bet that it was running some WRT variation.

There didn't appear to be an HTTP server running on the default NAT gateway, so that would rule out _most_ consumer grade devices.  I didn't run any probes beyond that.

> It didn't get fixed

We were told that it was an issue with the building's managed service, and the word "fibre" was used.

Ray