Subject: [homenet] #7: Defining home, guest and internet realms/borders

From: "homenet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:39:54 -0000

#7: Defining home, guest and internet realms/borders

 Consider two routers fully within a homenet Now, list all the types of
 traffic and information that might be exchanged between those routers,
 e.g.,

 - Datalink establishment
 - IP addressing for the link
 - IP Prefixes reachable by the router (what a "routing protocol" would do)
 - Services present on the router itself
 - Services on connected links propagated via the router
 - User traffic
 - etc...

 Our job is to determine what kind of link exists between two routers and
 start crossing out items, in whole or in part, based on how promiscuous we
 wish the routers to be on that link. In effect, we are deciding where to
 break the network and where not to, but it is by doing this that we carve
 out the separate "home", "guest" and "Internet" realms that we are
 targeting to create. I think that what is most important at this moment is
 to nail down what knobs we want to try and have available, what their "out
 of the box" defaults are for the above 3 combinations of border types, and
 allow for super-users, ISP-managed devices, etc. monkey around with them
 as they wish according to what vendors and providers can dream up. If we
 can agree on these, and still remain blocked on what kind of firewall to
 recommend to be enabled by default, we will still have accomplished quite
 a bit.

 What do we wish to say about such borders/realms?

-- 
-------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  tjc@…  |      Owner:  draft-ietf-homenet-arch@…
     Type:  task   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major  |  Milestone:
Component:  arch   |    Version:
 Severity:  -      |   Keywords:
-------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/homenet/trac/ticket/7>
homenet <http://tools.ietf.org/homenet/>