Subject: [homenet] homenet-arch - RT6) - convergence time

From: Teco Boot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 22:46:16 +0200

On:
>    RT6)   Minimising convergence time should be a goal in any routed
>           environment, but as a guideline a maximum convergence time of
>           a couple of minutes should be the target.

I was thinking of a couple of seconds.

During tutorials, I found it hard to explain why there is no
connectivity when a LED was green. Many users will not wait 
minutes before taking next steps finding a way to get gear work.
That is power cycle several times or take a hammer.
Minutes convergence time is yesterdays technology.

Teco

---

From: Aamer Akhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 03:38:57 -0400

> I was thinking of a couple of seconds.

The 'several minutes' scope was interesting. It would be good to sate 
why the thinking is several minutes (or is it only for a specific 
portion of the network). My feeling is that most folks are looking for 
visual feedback of some kind but also sub-minute convergence.