Subject: [homenet] case for reverse DNS on homenet

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:29:59 +0200

There was some minor discussion in the WG about whether reverse DNS was
needed at all for home networks.  

I want to make the case that humans should not have to deal with IPv6
addresses.  Furthermore, while one certainly can't make authorization
decisions based upon reverse DNS, for non-malicious nodes, the audit
record of having a node tell you *something* is valuable.

Use case: ISP complains about some activity (maybe a compromised host)
Saturday afternoon weeks ago.  The reported IPv6 is not known to you.
You look at the *(m)DNS* logs (which aren't really that big), and you an
entry for: "Mary-Perkins-Laptop".  You know that your daughter has a
friend named Mary.  Was she visiting you ask. Aha... now you know what
the problem is.

Double use case: since the ISP delegated the reverse to you, when they
reported a problem to you, it actually said, "Mary.perkins.name" in the
report, and thus you knew everything without even consulting your logs.

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:41:07 -0700

> record of having a node tell you *something* is valuable.

But then the nodes in homenet are no longer anonymous, and that may be a
security / privacy concern, no?

Cb
> _______________________________________________
> homenet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:23:58 -0700

> needed at all for home networks.  

Why? Do we all like stalls on reverse lookups ( telnet, some logging, x509 validation, acls)?

I put this into an automated net system ("tethernet") years ago because it was needed.  Things haven't changed. 

Joe