Subject: [homenet] Host service provider considerations in a multihomed network

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:31:54 -0400

[I'm subscribed to the list but far behind.  This was prompted by a question
to Acee at the mic at rtgwg.]

Let's say my Mother has two internet providers, A and B.  The reason may be
because she needs provider A for home work, but it's a somewhat filtered
network (she can't get to her facebook!) and has B as her personal provider.

What sort of interface are we expecting to give her to route her main
desktop to work resources vs. personal stuff?

Acee had suggested that source routing may be preferred.  In the above
example, that won't help her.  She would effectively be required to have two
machines.

Instead of source routing, I can also see standard routing being done.
Presume 192.0.2/24 is where the work-related resources are.  A static route
configured on the gateway for A and advertised into the routing protocol
would be sufficient to sink work traffic to the right router.

Alternatively, DNS sniffing with a configured filter on gateway A may be
enough.  She has example.com configured on A as a network that should be
preferred (maybe exclusively) on A.  When the AAAA record is returned for
something in example.com, it may be installed in routing to prefer A.

Note that I don't have any specific solution in mind. Routing may work,
simple source routing probably won't.  Full policy routing on the tuple may
work. Routing solutions under consderation may not be fast enough for dynamic 
host routes, etc.

-- Jeff

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:41:17 +0200

>>>>> "Jeffrey" == Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]> writes:
    Jeffrey> [I'm subscribed to the list but far behind.  This was
    Jeffrey> prompted by a question to Acee at the mic at rtgwg.]

    Jeffrey> Let's say my Mother has two internet providers, A and B.
    Jeffrey> The reason may be because she needs provider A for home
    Jeffrey> work, but it's a somewhat filtered network (she can't get
    Jeffrey> to her facebook!) and has B as her personal provider.

A good example, particularly if "A" is really a virtual wire.
But, my question is: on provider A, will she have full access, or only
access to work?

    Jeffrey> Instead of source routing, I can also see standard routing
    Jeffrey> being done.  Presume 192.0.2/24 is where the work-related
    Jeffrey> resources are.  A static route configured on the gateway
    Jeffrey> for A and advertised into the routing protocol would be
    Jeffrey> sufficient to sink work traffic to the right router.

so, this is what we have been calling a walled-garden, but perhaps that
term is too confusing due to WAP-type usage a decade ago, and we need
another term.

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.