Subject: [homenet] #5: Support for "flash" renumbering

From: "homenet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:36:05 -0000

#5: Support for "flash" renumbering

 In PD13 and AD3 we say that flash renumbering should be supported. This is
 due to many ISPs saying they may provision prefixes to residential
 networks that may change over time. What exactly should we say about what
 we mean by the minimum support for such renumbering?  This topic is linked
 to the ULA use topic.

-- 
-------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  tjc@…  |      Owner:  draft-ietf-homenet-arch@…
     Type:  task   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major  |  Milestone:
Component:  arch   |    Version:
 Severity:  -      |   Keywords:
-------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/homenet/trac/ticket/5>
homenet <http://tools.ietf.org/homenet/>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:56:02 +1300

>  we mean by the minimum support for such renumbering?  This topic is linked

IMHO it's also linked to clearly understanding the implications of a total
power loss followed by a cold start of every non-battery device. If that
works, then flash renumbering is really a subset of a cold start; in the
worst case, the help desk will be telling the user to switch *everything*
off and on again.

I think this is quite a hairy topic, and it's hard to quickly define
the minimum support.

    Brian