Subject: [homenet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-arch-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:16:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Home Networking Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Home Networking Architecture for IPv6
	Author(s)       : Tim Chown
                          Jari Arkko
                          Anders Brandt
                          Ole Troan
                          Jason Weil
	Filename        : draft-ietf-homenet-arch-02.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2012-03-12

   This text describes evolving networking technology within small
   residential home networks.  The goal of this memo is to define the
   architecture for IPv6-based home networking and the associated
   principles, considerations and requirements.  The text briefly
   highlights the implications of the introduction of IPv6 for home
   networking, discusses topology scenarios, and suggests how standard
   IPv6 mechanisms and addressing can be employed in home networking.
   The architecture describes the need for specific protocol extensions
   for certain additional functionality.  It is assumed that the IPv6
   home network is not actively managed, and runs as an IPv6-only or
   dual-stack network.  There are no recommendations in this text for
   the IPv4 part of the network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-homenet-arch-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-homenet-arch-02.txt

---

From: "Aamer Akhter (aakhter)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 02:59:14 -0500

A few minor comments on homenet-arch-02. I did a quick search of the
archive and did not see these mentioned, apologies if the discussion has
already taken place.

Sec 3.1

Regarding homepna / homewire / MoCA / wireless bridging of architecture:
there may be different and in some cases, changing bandwidth constraints
imposed on parts of an L2 domain. Is this within the homenet problem
domain? Or is QoS/bandwidth-management really limited to the CER?

sec 3.4.2 - 

"Some current devices work well with dual-stack but fail to
      recognize connectivity when IPv4 DHCP fails, for instance.". 
Does this refer to IPv6 connectivity that continues to work? (I believe
so, but it's unclear).

Section 3.4.7

"   ZC5)  It is important that self-configuration with "unintended"
         devices is avoided.  Methods are needed for devices to know
         whether they are intended to be part of the same homenet site
         or not." - 

Can an example be provided? Are we talking about two completely separate
networks (effectively different sites)? How does this relate to overall
goal of no manual configuration?

Sec 3.4.11

"The home network may receive an arbitrary length IPv6 prefix
   from its provider, e.g. /60 or /56.  The offered prefix may be stable
   over time or change from time to time. " 

It is unclear if only the prefix, or also the prefix-length would also
be changing. Do we need to worry about both cases?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-arch-02.txt
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:16:19 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: gmane.ietf.announce,gmane.ietf.homenet

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the Home Networking Working
Group of the IETF.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:48:13 +1300

On 2012-03-27 20:59, Aamer Akhter (aakhter) wrote:
...
> be changing. Do we need to worry about both cases?

To cover all cases, you have to assume that the prefix length might change,
including becoming longer. Also if there's more than one provider,
you have to assume different prefix lengths.

This affects 6renum as well as homenet.

    Brian