Subject: [homenet] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02.txt

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 11:38:14 +0200

Hi,

Please find the new version of the Homenet Naming Architecture draft.

Feel free to make comments.

BR,
Daniel

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-mglt-homenet
-front-end-naming-delegation-02.txt
To: Wouter Cloetens <[email-masked]>, Chris Griffiths <
[email-masked]>, Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>, Ralf Weber <
[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Daniel Migault and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation
Revision:        02
Title:           IPv6 Home Network Naming Delegation
Creation date:   2013-07-05
Group:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 16
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02

Abstract:
   CPEs are designed to provide IP connectivity to home networks.  Most
   CPEs assigns IP addresses to the nodes of the home network which
   makes it a good candidate for hosting the naming service.  With IPv6,
   the naming service makes nodes reachable from the home network as
   well as from the Internet.

   However, CPEs have not been designed to host such a naming service.
   More specifically, CPE have been designed neither to host a service
   exposed on the Internet, nor to support heavy operations like zone
   signing.  Both MAY expose the CPEs to resource exhaustion which would
   make the home network unreachable, and most probably would also
   affect the home network inner communications.

   In addition, DNSSEC management and configuration may not be well
   understood or mastered by regular end users.  Misconfiguration MAY
   also results in naming service disruption, thus these end users MAY
   prefer to rely on third party naming providers.

   This document describes a homenet naming architecture where the CPEs
   manage the DNS zone associates to its home network, and outsource
   both DNSSEC management and naming service on the Internet to a third
   party designated as the Public Authoritative Servers.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58