Subject: [homenet] How many people have installed the homenet code?

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:10:52 +0200

is it up from 8?

Dave Täht
I just lost five years of my life to making wifi better. And, now...
the FCC wants to make my work, illegal for people to install.
https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:19:16 +0200

> Dave Täht

I did experiments in the CORE network emulator with shncpd... not sure
if this counts.

Henning Rogge

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:34:40 +0200

We are planning to ramp up testing of that codebase again as we move
the new cake aqm qdisc into a major test phase[1]. It will be handy as
we try to create test scenarios to not have to deal with the
renumbering directly.

I sure hope that the dns integration is more solid than it was last
time we tried it, tho.

And everybody knows that my opinion is that if you are a member of
this working group, and not tested that code, that you should just
stay home, play with it, and save your company the airfare and hotel
expense.

But I will try not to be too grumpy about it, since I'm saving on
airfare myself to go buy some more test gear for make-wifi-fast.

Dave Täht
I just lost five years of my life to making wifi better. And, now...
the FCC wants to make my work illegal for people to install.
https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi

[1] http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/CakeTechnical

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 02:29:31 +0200

> I did experiments in the CORE network emulator with shncpd... not sure

It counts! Has the channel assignment problem been solved in any way?

Dave Täht

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 19:09:57 -0700

> the FCC wants to make my work, illegal for people to install.

Dear Dave,

I share your concerns. Perhaps DD-WRT could include a canned
library with a flexible API. Perhaps we should defined this
API and not settle for something like NDIS. An API that
isolates power related adjustment code to meet regulator
requirements.  We have lived through the regulator hell in
the recent past. It was not pleasant.

Once specifications become clear, we also hope to do
testing. Are there good places to find code implementing
homenet dncp with scalable DNS-SD, and versions running ISIS
with scalable DNS-SD as well?  I would assume wifi running
ISIS also blocks port 5353 traffic at the bridge.

What is your opinion on a good router for testing?  Not
necessarily the cheapest because performance is also
important.  Should I look for the best DD-WRT hardware
running linux before these units are removed from the home
market? My fear is testing may soon require a license and
expensive custom hardware.

After all, ham operators are granted a fairly large latitude
in the equipment they manage, most of it fairly programmable
in many critical aspects.  A 4 watt handheld transmitter
costs less than $30 and comes with software needed to
program aspects like channel separation.

Regards,
Douglas Otis

---

From: Tore Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 08:43:53 +0200

* Dave Taht <[email-masked]>

> is it up from 8?

Depends. Am I one of the 8?

In any case, this might be of help to whoever wants to be #9:

http://blog.toreanderson.no/2015/10/11/making-a-homenet-router-out-of-openwrt.html

Tore

---

From: Gabriel Kerneis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:52:48 +0200

> http://blog.toreanderson.no/2015/10/11/making-a-homenet-router-out-of-openwrt.html

Already mentioned on this list, I believe, but another tutorial is
available at http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/homenet/

Best,
Gabriel

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 10:11:10 +0200

Hi,

is there already someone who has installed the HNetD software (plus is
dependencies) on a normal Debian/Fedora Linux distribution? SHNCPD is
good for a few first tests, but it only contains a subset of the
useful HomeNet features.

Henning Rogge

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Gabriel Kerneis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Already mentioned on this list, I believe, but another tutorial is available
> at http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/homenet/
>
> Best,
> Gabriel
>
> _______________________________________________
> homenet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet
>

---

From: Markus Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 12:06:59 +0300

> On 22.10.2015, at 11.11, Henning Rogge <[email-masked]> wrote:

I have. The 'generic' stuff in general has been tested mainly on Debian 7.0, but pull requests to fix support for other platforms is also welcome.

Cheers,

-Markus

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:25:24 +0200

> SHNCPD is good for a few first tests, but it only contains a subset of
> the useful HomeNet features.

Huh?  What useful features are missing?

(Yes, I've got your patches, just too busy right now.)

-- Juliusz

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:07:36 +0200

> the recent past. It was not pleasant.

This code has existed in linux for over 10 !@#! years. It is
used by default in most systems. The regs invoked last year
and upcoming this year are massive overreach.

The API is bog-standard. The code is under a liberal licesne.

The freq database is signed, and frequently updated, for all worldwide
standards.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/regulatory

> homenet dncp with scalable DNS-SD,

most homenet code and spec were written at the same time.

openwrt has the needed proxy available for it. How scalable,
dunno. Ask barth.

> and versions running ISIS

Still intending to stick with babel here. It is massively lighter
weight, well tested, fully deployed in mainline linuxes, and has other
features we have long liked.

Don't want to get into the ISIS vs babeld debate today. Do an apt-get
install babeld on any debian derived box or yum install or whatever
package manager you use.  Next question?

I would like to see source specific routing enter all routing
protocols and all routing daemons, actually.

> market?

I note we work primarily on openwrt. dd-wrt lags behind a lot.

We are working on getting the linksys ac1900 up to speed
but the binary blob in the wifi driver is messing up that universe.
(aside from that, pretty good hardware).

A highly anticipated new platform is this:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/turris/turris

which basically uses the same chipset as the above, but
gives us options on what wifi cards to use.

On the lower end, anything with an ath9k in it is decent, but
the hardware is showing it's age. the new cake qdisc is
40% faster than the old sqm-scripts + htb + fq_codel
system but it still barely scales to a 100/20Mbit link

And the wifi on everything sucks universally, right now.

> My fear is testing may soon require a license and

Well, nobody has talked about any licensing scheme for being allowed
to do wifi work...

so aside from vendors working directly in the field, and people and
institutes willing to ignore present and future rulemaking... (or
change it)...

we're going to be f**ked, here in homenet.

Dave Täht

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:18:15 +0200

> Huh?  What useful features are missing?

What is about the interaction of SHNCPD with (M)DNS? Can I add the 
hybrid-proxy and expect it to work?

> (Yes, I've got your patches, just too busy right now.)

Good to hear.

Henning Rogge

-- 
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE
Kommunikationssysteme (KOM)
Fraunhofer Straße 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Telefon +49 228 9435-961,   Fax +49 228 9435 685
mailto:[email-masked] http://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:27:21 +0200 (CEST)

> is it up from 8?

I have spent 20 hours this week testing the hnet-full(babel) and 
hnet-full(isis) on OpenWRT 15.05 (CC).

There are bugs. Sometimes all IPv4 addresses on the router are just gone 
and won't come back until hnetd is restarted. I talked to the devs, it 
seems to be OpenWRT API related (if I understood correctly). It seems my 
test case to have OpenWRT as Wifi client isn't commonly used... Sometimes 
hnetd seems to lose HNCP-connectivity (and deconfigure addresses) with 
neighbors even though the routing protocol is still up. I have hours of 
video (screen capture), but I'm not sure it'll help debug these issues, 
and they're not easy to trigger, they're intermittent and they don't 
happen because something noticably specific happened.

So I agree, we need more eyes on this!

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:28:23 +0200

oops, I used the wrong link.

THE most promising piece of hardware on the horizon is:

https://omnia.turris.cz/en/
Dave Täht
I just lost five years of my life to making wifi better. And, now...
the FCC wants to make my work, illegal for people to install.
https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 14:01:11 +0200

I have not.

But I am constantly checking the IPv6 and routing/bridging features in 
off-the-shelf WiFi Access Points designed for home.

A recent otherwise highly performing 802.11ac AP from Netgear 
explicitely requests the user to disable IPv6 in the home network in 
order for its Genie management software to work correctly.

Alex

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 17:16:30 +0200

> What is about the interaction of SHNCPD with (M)DNS?

Right, SD and NAT-PMP proxying are not implemented by shncpd.

> Can I add the hybrid-proxy and expect it to work?

No idea.  Markus?  What needs to be done for the integration?

-- Juliusz