Subject: [homenet] use of .home

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 13:50:25 +0000

Hi,

I was going to say two things at the mic before we ran out of time.

First, that I agree with Ralph on his comments about requirements.

Second, as Stuart pointed out, use is already being made of .home, e.g. it’s used by BT in the UK. There are articles online that suggest 500M hits/day to the roots for .home, and that .home is the heaviest used unallocated TLD. Which I assume is in no small part why ICANN chose to not allocate the TLD, instead marking it (and .corp) as a “high risk” TLD, due to existing use. For an example, see http://domainincite.com/13773-home-gets-half-a-billion-hits-a-day-could-this-put-new-gtlds-at-risk.  Of course *how* .home is being used is another question, but it’s effectively not allocatable elsewhere.

Tim

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:33:47 +0200

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 01:50:25PM +0000,
 Tim Chown <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 69 lines which said:

> There are articles online that suggest 500M hits/day to the roots
> for .home,

L-root alone receives 180 Mhits/day so it is possible. (Source:
http://stats.dns.icann.org/hedgehog/ )

> and that .home is the heaviest used unallocated TLD.

No, it is .local. (Source: the same)

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:53:30 +0000

> On 18 Jul 2016, at 15:33, Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Well, that’s a special use domain name, so allocated of sorts.

Tim