Subject: [homenet] About ULAs in Ted's draft

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:05:31 +0200

Ted,

I've read the draft again, and I think that there's only one place where
you rely on having a ULA.  So I'd suggest:

  Section 3.3 point 2, replace "the homenet's ULA prefix" with "the
  homenet's ULA prefix (if any)".

  In Section 5.5, change "Homenets have at least one ULA prefix" with
  "Homenets usually have exactly one non-deprecated ULA prefix".

The only place where you actually rely on a ULA is Section 4.7, paragraph
2.  I have no idea what to do about that.

Alternatives to this include making ULA generation a MUST in the HNCP RFC,
or making naming support a SHOULD that depends on having a ULA.  I hold
a mild distaste for either of these possibilities, but I suppose I could
live with either.

-- Juliusz

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:22:11 +0200

Yeah, I think this is the right approach. I think a homenet with no ULA is
broken, but I don't want to insist. Things just get a lot more brittle if
you don't have ULAs.

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 07:45:09 +0200

If you have no ULA, then you may have to fall back to manual creation of 
the homenet domain in 4.7, which is less than ideal.

tim

ps - i've read the draft and think it's ready for adoption.  Needs some 
fleshing out, but it's has a good foundation.

On 7/19/16 11:22 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> Yeah, I think this is the right approach. I think a homenet with no ULA
> is broken, but I don't want to insist. Things just get a lot more
> brittle if you don't have ULAs.
>
>
> On Jul 19, 2016 11:05, "Juliusz Chroboczek"
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> wrote:
>
>     Ted,
>
> _______________________________________________
> homenet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet
>

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 09:17:52 +0200

> ps - i've read the draft and think it's ready for adoption.

I most humbly disagree.  Let's please leave some time for people to think
it over and possibly come with counter-proposals.

-- Juliusz