Subject: [homenet] integrating homenet with multiple OSes

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 17:08:28 +0200

If anyone would like to talk to how to integrate homenet's stuff with
existing OSes,
there is still a call for proposals out here ending aug 1.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2016-July/037235.html

For systemd. (*please* don't turn this fora into a debate about
systemd's qualities and/or lack thereof. It's out there, it's widely
used, it would be good to integrate better with it, leave it at that?
There's been enough debate on that subsystem elsewhere).

The only OS I know well is Linux, and homenet's ideas on that OS can
sometimes conflict with current default configurations of avahi-mdns
name services, dnsmasq and other dns proxies/resolvers, "connman" and
"network manager", several existing dhcp and dhcp server
implementations, routing protocols, and so on.

In terms of other init/networking subsystems than openwrt and
lede-project's - there are the oldstyle debian interfaces to
networking, std init, OSX, and a few "minor" others, like windows,
android and iOS. And IOS. And no doubt dozens I didn't manage to list.

I don't think the integration discussion needs to take place here - I
am just thinking that with the complex interplay of protocols and
daemons, that more implementation experience was needed... and systemd
is a toughie, and I saw that conference slot go by to remind me about
mentioning this.

... while I have few ideas as to how to go about it, I don't plan on
giving any more talks for a while, on anything, but would gladly
collaborate to grok the issues.

Please note that in many cases we are still stuck at ipv6 basics -
dhcpv6-pd is barely deployed in particular, there's still debate here
and elsewhere on how to do naming more right (and needing
implementations), and so on.

-- 
Dave Täht
Let's go make home routers and wifi faster! With better software!
http://blog.cerowrt.org