Subject: [homenet] draft-ietf-homenet-babel-profile-01

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 14:50:31 +0100

Hi,

I've just submitted

  draft-ietf-homenet-babel-profile-01

It should hit the IETF repository soon, in the meantime, my working copy is on

  https://github.com/jech/babel-drafts/tree/master/draft-ietf-homenet-babel-profile

The major change is the addition of Section 3, which describes how HNCP
speaks to Babel.  Other than that, I've removed the editorial notes.

I still have my doubts about REQ5, but I believe that the current
formulation reflects the consensus attained at IETF-95:

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/minutes-95-homenet/

Please review, please pick nits, please improve my English.

-- Juliusz

---

From: Markus Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 16:07:25 +0200

> On 2 Dec 2016, at 15.50, Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I've just submitted
> 

I do not like REQ5. As a SHOULD, perhaps, but MUST seems excessive.

Guest networks without any HNCP / routing traffic are the way to go anyway in my opinion. What happens behind closed doors (= non-guest) is up to the home, I think.

With dynamic categories of interfaces, as long as we do not mandate securing RA/DHCP*, securing routing and HNCP will not help much in the bug picture. (=Anyone can pretend to be uplink and get traffic routed through them anyway). With static categories, if you send HNCP/routing traffic on guest interfaces, you are doing something wrong.

Cheers,

-Markus

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 13:02:11 +0100

> Guest networks without any HNCP / routing traffic are the way to go
> anyway in my opinion. What happens behind closed doors (= non-guest) is
> up to the home, I think.

Right.  Plus there's the fact that nobody has stepped up to get it
implemented, which might indicate there's little interest.

List, chairs -- am I welcome to remove REQ5 from this document with no
replacement?  Or is somebody stepping up to get it implemented?

-- Juliusz