Subject: [homenet] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC7788 (4718)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:23:53 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC7788, "Home Networking Control Protocol". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7788&eid=4718

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2016-06-23
Held by: Terry Manderson (IESG)

Section: GLOBAL

Original Text
-------------
7.4.  Multicast DNS Proxy

   The designated Multicast DNS (mDNS) [RFC6762] proxy on a Common Link
   is elected based on the capabilities described in Section 4.

[...]

   The elected router MUST provide an mDNS proxy on the given link and
   announce it as described in Section 8.

[...]

8.  Naming and Service Discovery

   [...]

   Each HNCP router SHOULD provide and announce an auto-generated or
   user-configured name for each internal Common Link (Section 6.1) for
   which it is the designated DHCPv4, stateful DHCPv6 server, mDNS
   proxy, or for which it provides forward or reverse DNS services on
   behalf of connected devices.

[...]

10.1.  HNCP-Version TLV

   [...]

   M-capability:  Priority value used for electing the on-link mDNS
      [RFC6762] proxy.  It MUST be set to 0 if the router is not capable
      of proxying mDNS, otherwise it SHOULD be set to 4 but MAY be set
      to any value from 1 to 7 to indicate a non-default priority

Corrected Text
--------------
7.4.  Multicast DNS Hybrid Proxy

   The designated Multicast DNS (mDNS) [RFC6762] Hybrid Proxy
   [draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-03] on a Common Link is elected based
   on the capabilities described in Section 4.

[...]

   The elected router MUST provide an mDNS Hybrid Proxy on the
   given link and announce it as described in Section 8.

[...]

8.  Naming and Service Discovery

   [...]

   Each HNCP router SHOULD provide and announce an auto-generated or
   user-configured name for each internal Common Link (Section 6.1) for
   which it is the designated DHCPv4, stateful DHCPv6 server, mDNS
   Hybrid Proxy, or for which it provides forward or reverse DNS
   services on behalf of connected devices.

[...]

10.1.  HNCP-Version TLV

   [...]

   M-capability:  Priority value used for electing the on-link mDNS
      Hybrid Proxy.  It MUST be set to 0 if the router is not capable
      of providing an mDNS Hybrid Proxy service, otherwise it SHOULD
      be set to 4 but MAY be set to any value from 1 to 7 to indicate
      a non-default priority

Notes
-----
RFC 7788 refers to "Multicast DNS (mDNS) proxy" and gives a citation for RFC 6762.

RFC 6762, "Multicast DNS," defines multicast DNS and mentions (without an explicit definition) a "Multicast DNS Proxy" service.  This proxy service is also known as "Bonjour Sleep Proxy" [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_Sleep_Proxy]

However, the intent of RFC 7788 is to specify the operation and advertisement of the multicast DNS Hybrid Proxy Service, as defined in draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-03, "Hybrid Unicast/Multicast DNS-Based Service Discovery."  This errata corrects the mentions of "mDNS proxy" in RFC 7788 to "Hybrid Proxy."

draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-03 should also be added to the Normative References.

--------------------------------------
RFC7788 (draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Home Networking Control Protocol
Publication Date    : April 2016
Author(s)           : M. Stenberg, S. Barth, P. Pfister
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Home Networking
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG