Subject: [homenet] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7788 (5113)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:34:37 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7788,
"Home Networking Control Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5113

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Denis Ovsienko <[email-masked]>

Section: 10

Original Text
-------------
10.2.2.  DHCPv6-Data TLV

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |    Type: DHCPv6-Data (37)     |          Length: > 0          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[...]

10.2.3.  DHCPv4-Data TLV

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type: DHCPv4-Data (38)    |          Length: > 0          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Corrected Text
--------------
10.2.2.  DHCPv6-Data TLV

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |    Type: DHCPv6-Data (38)     |          Length: > 0          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[...]

10.2.3.  DHCPv4-Data TLV

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type: DHCPv4-Data (37)    |          Length: > 0          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Notes
-----
Section 13 (IANA Considerations) of the document says:

      37: DHCPv4-Data

      38: DHCPv6-Data

Those code points from Section 13 are in the "HNCP TLV Types" IANA registry as well as in the current source code of shncpd and tcpdump. The code points shown in Sections 10.2.2 and 10.2.3 were likely swapped by mistake.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7788 (draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Home Networking Control Protocol
Publication Date    : April 2016
Author(s)           : M. Stenberg, S. Barth, P. Pfister
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Home Networking
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:50:18 +0200

Confirmed, this is consistent with both known implementations of HNCP, as
well as with the tcpdump parser.  This was also confirmed by Markus Stenberg
in a mail dated 9 June 2016 to myself and the former Homenet chairs.

  Message-Id: <[email-masked]>

-- Juliusz