Subject: [homenet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-dot-14.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 10:47:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Home Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Special Use Domain 'home.arpa.'
        Authors         : Pierre Pfister
                          Ted Lemon
	Filename        : draft-ietf-homenet-dot-14.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2017-09-01

Abstract:
   This document specifies the behavior that is expected from the Domain
   Name System with regard to DNS queries for names ending with
   '.home.arpa.', and designates this domain as a special-use domain
   name. 'home.arpa.' is designated for non-unique use in residential
   home networks.  Home Networking Control Protocol (HNCP) is updated to
   use the 'home.arpa.' domain instead of '.home'.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-dot/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-dot-14
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-homenet-dot-14

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-homenet-dot-14

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Walter H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 20:46:00 +0200

Hello,

just one question for some better understanding ...

I read this line

"The domain name 'home.arpa.' is to be used for naming within
residential homenets."

when this draft becomes an RFC - hopefully this year 2017 - then there 
exists
an RFC, which gives you a domain name you can use in a home network/LAN
without conflicting to other things ..., the domain name 'home.arpa'

but there still doesn't exist any for company networks, they most 
commonly use
the domain name 'local', which I already noticed, that this conflicts to 
RFC 6762 ...

Thanks,
Walter

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 14:47:24 -0400

On Sep 1, 2017, at 2:46 PM, Walter H. <[email-masked]> wrote:
> but there still doesn't exist any for company networks, they most commonly use
> the domain name 'local', which I already noticed, that this conflicts to RFC 6762 ...

That problem is not within the scope of the homenet working group to address.   You might consider raising it in the dnsop working group.

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 19:24:48 -0400

> the domain name 'local', which I already noticed, that this conflicts to RFC

Around 2 months ago (AKA, *just* before the draft cutoff) I wrote
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dnsop-internal-00 -- this is
specifically designed to be a reservation for a companies /
organizations / test networks / disconnected networks, etc to be able
to use.

So far it has generated basically no discussion -- some of the purpose
was simply to more fully discuss the issues, etc surrounding this sort
of issue.
Note that the document is not very well written, it was written on a
plane and submitted in a rush.
W

> _______________________________________________
> homenet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet
>

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf