Subject: [hrpc] Language analysis of RFCs

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 11:55:16 -0300

Dear all,

We had the idea of analyzing RFCs for certain terms which could help
us identify more relevant RFCs for our work and analyze trends in the
use of certain (combinations of) concepts. Unfortunately the person
that volunteered to help us with that couldn't complete this work due
to other commitments.

We discussed this at the interim meeting and Corinne and dkg said they
might know people that could help us with this, Joe also suggested
someone. Underneath I'm sharing with you and updated version email I
sent to the person that was going to help us with this.

It would be great if you could let me know if you think this is
useful, whether something should be changed or added. And of course,
feel free to send this email to anyone who could help up with this.

Looking forward to discuss.

Best,

Niels

Hi [**]

I hope this e-mail finds you well. What I am looking for someone or a
tool to analyze all Internet Standards (RFCs) for a number of terms.

All RFCs can be found here: https://www.rfc-editor.org/getbulk.html

The concepts I would like to scan for are (non-case sensitive):

Interoperability, Distributed architecture, Distributed, End to end,
Reliability, Resiliency, resilience, Permissionless innovation,
Transparency, Data minimization, Federation, Graceful degradation,
Connectivity, Innovation at the edges, Content agnostic, application
agnostic, graceful failure, partial healing, delay tolerance, data
minimization, data compression, connectivity, stateless, statefull,
scalable, transparent, debugging. robust. end user, decentralized,
privacy, rights, surveillance, Internationalization, openness

What I would like to get out of this is the ability to:

1. see which of these words are used in which RFC,
2. a timeline per concept how often it is used (to see if terms are
more popular during a certain time period, to analyze for trends),
3. and then the ability to overlay these different analysis to see if
a combination of terms occurs more regularly in a certain time period
(in the same RFC or different ones).

I imagine this done in the following way:

Line graphs per technical concept in which the X axis is time and
the Y axis is the amount of RFCs the term is mentioned in, it would be
nice one could hover over/click on the line and see in which RFCs the
concept is mentioned.

We're doing this in the framework of the Human Rights Protocols
Considerations research group in the IETF / IRTF to see if there is a
relation between human rights and protocols, and ultimately, to see if
we can draft human right considerations for future protocol
development to safeguard the Internet as a space that enables human
rights.

Looking forward to discuss and see whether and how we could best
approach this.

Best,

Niels
- -- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 17:26:27 +0100

Not sure if there is or is not a way to usefully do it, but if
you could generalise to developing a tool that could accept any
set of input terms (e.g. AES, crypto, NAT) then you might find
that is sufficiently useful to attract other folks to help with
getting the data.

S.

On 20/06/15 15:55, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc
>