Subject: Re: [hrpc] IESG and IETF Chair report for IETF 103

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 13:45:33 -0800

Hi Mallory,
At 07:46 PM 07-11-2018, Mallory Knodel wrote:
>I'm wondering if we might do some very careful work to present diversity
>statistics. This might build evidence for some of what was discussed in
>the open mic portion of the plenary. In the past I have seen requests
>for this elsewhere in IETF but also in the larger technical community.
>For example there was an analysis done of ICANN mailing list engagement
>and meeting attendance. It wasn't comprehensive but it was precise. And
>therefore useful!

Will you be looking into intersectionality?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:43:37 +0300

> Will you be looking into intersectionality?

Hi,

We have limited data and we are looking at how to present that data. Can
you explain more what you mean or would expect from a presentation of
diversity statistics that takes into account intersectionality?

Thanks,
-Mallory

-- 
Mallory Knodel
Head of Digital :: article19.org
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9  B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 08:34:55 -0800

Hi Mallory,
>diversity statistics that takes into account intersectionality?

I came across a paper about the subject [1].  I haven't put in much 
thought in whether that perspective should be taken into account for 
the research  The statistics could inform the reader about the 
different identities along which a person is mapped.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. 
https://nam.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Health-Inequities-Social-Determinants-and-Intersectionality.pdf

---

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 19:17:24 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

>From the paper, “the researcher engages in deep self-reflection that contextualizes and recognizes the ways in which race, gender, class, sexual orientation, disability, and other axes of inequality constitute inter- secting systems of oppression.”

I don’t think that the limited data on attendance and participation in lists is going to give us the ability to look at these various aspects as a whole, unfortunately.

-M

----- Original Message -----
From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
To: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Sent: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 16:34:55 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: IESG and IETF Chair report for IETF 103

Hi Mallory,

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1.