Subject: [http-auth] side meeting in Taipei (was: Re: HTTP-Auth BoF in Quebec City Postponed)

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 10:37:49 -0600

On 9/30/11 11:43 PM, HAYASHI, Tatsuya wrote:
> 
> Hi! Peter.
> 
> The cut-off date of BOF proposal requests in IETF Taipei is coming soon.
> Taking account of the recent status of this list, I don't think we
> have a BOF in Taipei. However, I want to improve the authentication in
> the web too, so is there any intention to have a side meeting to
> clarify the scope and the problem?
> 
> As a co-author of the problem statement draft by Yutaka Oiwa, I want
> the draft enhanced by other guys familiar with authentication.
> (We are updating a draft!)

Yes, I think it would be good to have a side meeting in Taipei.

At IETF 81, we talked about a few action items, such as:

1. Provide reviews of the Browser ID technology that Mozilla has been
working on at https://browserid.org/ (this would provide some positive
cross-pollination between IETF / security and W3C / browser folks).

2. Start some wiki pages at trac.tools.ietf.org to list existing
technologies in this space (e.g., one page per solution), explore the
differences between browsers and native applications (especially mobile
apps), clarify the user experience factors involved here, etc.

3. Get more people to review the problem statement draft you have been
working on with Yutaka Oiwa.

4. Reach out to service providers and developers (banks, payment
systems, mobile app developers, people who work on account manager
software, etc.).

It would be nice to make progress on some of those before we hold a side
meeting. I admit that I haven't done enough here, but I would like to
help as time permits.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:55:38 -0500

> (We are updating a draft!)

We agreed at Quebec not to have a meeting at Taipei.  I thought we all
agreed that it would be counter-productive to have such a meeting with
a significant constituency absent.

What's changed since Quebec?

Nico
--

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:37:50 -0600

> What's changed since Quebec?

We agreed not to hold a BoF. I see no particular harm in a little side
meeting if folks are interested.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/