Subject: 3.10 Language tags; Subtag; Pipe is the alternation token

From: Christian Nybø <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:05:44 +0200

Would you agree that on page 27, the line
            subtag        = 1*8(ALPHA / DIGIT)
should read
            subtag        = 1*8(ALPHA | DIGIT)
?
-- 
chr

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:43:10 -0600

>             subtag        = 1*8(ALPHA | DIGIT)

What RFC are you reading? Some kind of a "fixed" version of RFC 2616?
RFC 2616 does not have the above definition for subtag. RFC 2616
errata[1] mentions that subtag definition should be relaxed and quotes a
new definition from RFC 3066:

That quoted definition uses the "/" separator because RFC 3066 is using
ABNF, a different BNF notation. When the errata is integrated into the
next HTTP/1.1 RFC, the notation needs to be corrected (either in the
quoted fix or everywhere else).

Alex.
[1] http://skrb.org/ietf/http_errata.html

---

From: Christian Nybø <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:15:10 +0200

On Jun 29, 2005, at 19:43, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> What RFC are you reading?

Pardon me.  Yes, I am reading the one tagged draft-gettys-http-v11- 
spec-rev-00.

> Some kind of a "fixed" version of RFC 2616?

That's it.  My error.

> quoted fix or everywhere else).

Then I understand. Thanks.
-- 
chr

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:53:02 -0600

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 21:15 +0200, Christian Nybø wrote:
> I am reading the one tagged draft-gettys-http-v11-spec-rev-00.

Thanks for spotting and reporting the bug in the draft! Without your
report, the wrong BNF syntax could have been published in the future
HTTP RFC.

Alex.