Subject: HTTP authentication

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:07:54 -0700

Talking with various potential CalDAV deployers lately, there's a 
perceived need for better HTTP authentication mechanisms: ones which 
can deal with federated identity and single sign-on.  I've also heard 
people respond "what's the problem? Put an authentication proxy in the 
proxy path" or suggest HTTP-SASL or a number of other possible 
solutions to possible problems.

So, we probably need first to discuss whether there is a problem, and 
if so, what to do about it.  There's been a suggestion to hold a BOF in 
Vancouver (if it's not too late to plan one) to see who the interested 
parties are and start defining (or defining away) the problem.  Another 
idea is to hold a workshop at some point after we've identified the 
interested parties.

Anyway, I've started a separate discussion list for this topic-- I 
didn't want to spam the general HTTP list or make people who weren't 
interested in general HTTP issues (but only in authentication for 
CalDAV/WebDAV) join that list.  Please join and chime in any time about 
what you perceive the problem or lack of problem to be or leap straight 
to what ought to be done.

http://lists.osafoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ietf-http-auth

Lisa

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:18:48 +0000

May  I forward this to other interested parties?

I think it is too late to get a BOF for IETF 64, but would be happy to
work on it for the next IETF.  We could definitely have a bar bof.

---

From: "Max Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:14:25 -0700

I am back on this list.  Please let me know to where I send the delete.  I 
would also like to know the main address to check for so I know that I am 
not spamming you with my broadcast(s)  If this is a fact it is by mistake.
Last but not least.
I am looking for a twenty year old signal generator.  Any thoughts from this 
enlightened group.

For running and some drinking or is it the other way around I suggest the 
Hash Hound Harriers.
Not a culture more of an obsession.
Groups all over the U.S.
Ribald, raucous and down right randy.
Meetings and events world wide.
Perhaps just the levity needed to lighten up this very somber group.
with smiles.
max clark
shell beach
santa cruz
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Sam Hartman" <[email-masked]>
To: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "HTTP working group" <[email-masked]>; "CalDAV DevList" 
<[email-masked]>; "WebDav WG" <[email-masked]>; "RL 
'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>; "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>; 
"Cyrus Daboo" <[email-masked]>; "Paul B.Hill" <[email-masked]>; "Mike Shaver" 
<[email-masked]>; "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: HTTP authentication