Subject: NEW ISSUE: ISO-8859-1 reference

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 14:29:04 +0200

Hi,

we currently have the following reference 
(<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-02.html#ISO-8859>):

    [ISO-8859]
               International Organization for Standardization,
               "Information technology - 8-bit single byte coded graphic
               - character sets", 1987-1990.

               Part 1: Latin alphabet No. 1, ISO-8859-1:1987.  Part 2:
               Latin alphabet No. 2, ISO-8859-2, 1987.  Part 3: Latin
               alphabet No. 3, ISO-8859-3, 1988.  Part 4: Latin alphabet
               No. 4, ISO-8859-4, 1988.  Part 5: Latin/Cyrillic alphabet,
               ISO-8859-5, 1988.  Part 6: Latin/Arabic alphabet, ISO-
               8859-6, 1987.  Part 7: Latin/Greek alphabet, ISO-8859-7,
               1987.  Part 8: Latin/Hebrew alphabet, ISO-8859-8, 1988.
               Part 9: Latin alphabet No. 5, ISO-8859-9, 1990.

Proposed changes:

- classify as normative,

- just cite ISO-8859-1 (the other variants aren't needed by HTTP/1.1),

- update to latest version.

This would make it:

    [ISO-8859-1]
               International Organization for Standardization,
               "Information technology -- 8-bit single-byte coded graphic
               character sets -- Part 1: Latin alphabet No. 1", ISO/
               IEC 8859-1:1998, 1998.

Best regards, JUlian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:16:51 +0200

Julian Reschke wrote:
> ...

Hi,

in the meantime it was pointed out to me that we use ISO-8859-4 and 
ISO-8859-5 in two examples.

I personally do not feel that we need references for those, as long as 
they appear in the IANA registry 
(<http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets>). Speaking of which, 
this also applies to the character set name "unicode-1-1", which is used 
  in Section 14.2.

Feedback appreciated,

Julian