Subject: Re: ISSUE 31: qdtext BNF

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 19:05:17 +0100

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Now issue 62;
>   http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/issues/#i62
>
> On 21/04/2007, at 1:12 AM, Dan Winship wrote:
>
>> RFC 2822 updates RFC 822's quoted-pair rule to disallow CR, LF, and  
>> NUL.
>> We should probably make the same change.
>
I agree.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:36:12 +0200

>>> We should probably make the same change.

So what would be the fix. Something like:

     quoted-text    = %d1-9 |         ; Characters excluding CR and LF
                      %d11 |
                      %d12 |
                      %d14-127

     quoted-pair    = "\" quoted-text

?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:08:25 +0100

Julian Reschke wrote:

>>>> RFC 2822 updates RFC 822's quoted-pair rule to disallow CR, LF, 
>>>> and  NUL.

Yes, this seems reasonable. I would only update the comment to mention 
NUL as well.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:26:36 +0200

> Yes, this seems reasonable. I would only update the comment to mention 

OK, so let's make it...:

     quoted-text    = %d1-9 |     ; Characters excluding NUL, CR and LF
                      %d11-d12 |
                      %d14-127

Best regards, Julian

PS.: I'm a bit nervous to start making changes to the ABNF before our 
ABNF transition plan is in place. But maybe that's not a problem as long 
as we can always generate the collected BNF for all previous drafts?

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:01:34 +0100

>     quoted-pair    = "\" quoted-text

Yes.

> ABNF transition plan is in place.

I agree that this can be delayed. I think the change should be done 
everywhere in the document at once.

> But maybe that's not a problem as long as we can always generate the 
> collected BNF for all previous drafts?