Subject: Is Content-Range extensible?

From: Subbu Allamaraju <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:17:05 -0800

Per the BNF in 14.16, Content-Range is restricted to describing byte  
ranges. However, 3.12 leaves the door a bit open by stating that  
"implementations MAY ignore ranges specified using other units". Some  
examples of other ranges are

Content-Range: items 10-19
Content-Range: items <some-query>

Does 3.12 imply that such ranges are valid?

Thanks for any guidance.

Subbu

---

From: "Brian Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:33:05 -0800

Subbu Allamaraju wrote:
> Per the BNF in 14.16, Content-Range is restricted to 
> describing byte ranges. However, 3.12 leaves the door a bit 
> open by stating that "implementations MAY ignore ranges 
> specified using other units". Some examples of other ranges are
> 

It is an open issue. See:

http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/85
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/issues/#i85
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2007OctDec/0036.html

- Brian