Subject: i76: 305 Use Proxy

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:19:08 -0800

<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/76>

It's been suggested that we deprecate 305 Use Proxy, because it isn't  
implemented in browsers as far as we can see, there are security  
concerns, it isn't well-defined, and there isn't a known use case for  
it.

I'm assuming that we'd do so by moving it into an appendix and  
documenting it as such (much as 2616 did for many things).

Thoughts?

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:29:17 -0800 (PST)

+1 ... could never understand the motivation in the first place and
       as noted wasn't well designed either.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:27:02 +0100

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> concerns, it isn't well-defined, and there isn't a known use case for it.
> 

For readability, I'd propose to leave it where it is, and just state 
that it's deprecated.

Otherwise, we probably would need more into an appendix as well (such as 
Payment Required).

BR, Julian