Subject: wildcards in digest auth domain field

From: Tim Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:27:08 -0500

Hello,

In my current project, I have come across the problem of making digest
authentication work across an arbitrary number of subdomains.  RFC
2617 specifies a domain directive where I can specify a number of
domains.  It does not, however, allow me to specify a wildcard domain.
Others have also indicated the need for wildcard domains [1, 2].

I'd like to propose allowing wildcard domains in digest
authentication's domain directive.  It can be done in a similar manner
to what's currently allowed as subjectAltNames in TLS certificates [3,
4, 5].  For example, *.example.com matches a.example.com and
b.example.com, but does not match example.com or a.b.example.com

Would it be possible to get this into httpbis?  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

[1] http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=155252
[2] http://blog.ianbicking.org/apache-the-application-server.html
[3] RFC 2595 Section 2.4
[4] RFC 2818 Section 3.1
[5] RFC 4513 Section 3.1.3.1

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:41:01 -0800

At 1:27 PM -0500 2/14/08, Tim Olsen wrote:
>authentication's domain directive.

This sounds like a change, not a clarification. I don't think that's 
currently in scope.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Tim Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:50:01 -0500

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:41:01 -0800
> This sounds like a change, not a clarification. I don't think that's 

Hmm.. you're right.  Maybe in the next version of HTTP then.

Thanks,
Tim