Subject: ABNF conversion status (issue <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/36>)

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:54:32 +0100

OK,

with

  <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/207>

all BNFs are self-contained, parsing ok in Bill Fenner's 2616-enhanced 
ABNF parser.

Each part now has a section stating what rules are imported from other 
document parts (anchor "abnf.dependencies"). Obviously the goal is to 
reduce these dependencies; the story looks good for P4..P7, but for the 
P1..P3 we may want to put in some more work.

A low hanging fruit I'd like to pick: P2 forward-references the 
"delta-seconds" rule defined in P6. I'd propose to move delta-seconds 
into P1, Section 3.3 ("Date/Time Formats") as a common BNF construct.

Outstanding issues:

- get rid of more prose rules
- resolve list rule and LWS issues
- switch to RFC5234 syntax

Related to that:

- resolve issue (URI RFC reference) 
<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/34> -- the BNF rules 
are prepared for that; they already use the rule names from RFC3986.

BR, Julian