Subject: Sketch of a very simple identification protocol

From: Story Henry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:47:57 +0200

By thinking about a use case involving Distributed Open Social  
Networks we found the need for a light weight identification system  
such as OpenId, but without the many redirects and better able to work  
with REST web architecture and Linked Data. The main reasons for  
needing such a protocol were laid out on the Semantic Web mailing list  
[1].

I summarized and illustrated a sketch of such a protocol on a recent  
blog post.

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/rdfauth_sketch_of_a_buzzword

It is very simple, and probably could be further simplified. Some  
people have noted the similarity with HTTPS, and how this could be  
thought of as an extension to that perhaps [2]. In any case I thought  
that with some protocols experts on this list would be able to fill in  
the gaps, suggest improvements or point to specs that already do what  
is needed.

Yours sincerely,

	Henry

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/[email-masked]
[2] see http://www.w3.org/mid/[email-masked]