Subject: 307 Temporary Redirect

From: Nicolas Alvarez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 01:41:00 -0300

Should the description for 307 status code *explicitly* say that the 
method must be the same? It says the client should use the new URI, and 
without anything talking about methods, implicitly I can guess the 
method shouldn't be changed. But it's not explicitly stated. There could 
be problems with an implementor misreading it.

Maybe the same should be done with all redirection codes.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:45:45 +0100

> Maybe the same should be done with all redirection codes.

Not convinced.

Do you have any evidence of implementors who actually did get this wrong?

BR, Julian

---

From: Nicolas Alvarez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:44:58 -0300

Julian Reschke escribió:
>> method must be the same? It says the client should use the new URI, 
>> and without anything talking about methods, implicitly I can guess the 
>> method shouldn't be changed. But it's not explicitly stated. There 
>> could be problems with an implementor misreading it.
>>

No, I don't. Just personal opinion of not seeing it too clear, while 
looking for the right status code to return from my web app.

However, 302 says: "RFC 1945 and RFC 2068 specify that the client is not 
allowed to change the method on the redirected request. However, most 
existing user agent implementations treat 302 as if it were a 303 
response, performing a GET on the Location field-value regardless of the 
original request method."

If those RFCs *did* specify that the method couldn't be changed, and 
some user agents did it wrong at the time, just by extrapolating it 
looks like it would be even worse if 307 spec doesn't clearly specify it.

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:33:48 +0100

> be problems with an implementor misreading it.

I think the comment in 302 should get most implementers on track there..

> Maybe the same should be done with all redirection codes.

If it isn't said that the request should be retried at the new location
using another method then it should not.. applies to all redirection
codes, old as new.

Regards
Henrik