Subject: FYI: draft-wing-http-new-tech

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:56:00 +1100

Another draft by Dan Wing -  <https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-wing-http-new-tech/ 

> People like their computers to work quickly. During the transition  
> to new technology, both old and new technologies have to peacefully  
> co-exist. However, if users experience connection delays attributed  
> to the new technology the new technology will be shunned. HTTP ("The  
> Web") is one of the most visible and time-critical applications that  
> is used by nearly every Internet user. It is critical that new  
> technologies which improve HTTP not impair or delay the display of  
> HTTP content. It is also important that users retain the ability to  
> share URIs amongst friends and colleagues, even if the other users  
> have not upgraded to the new technology. This draft makes several  
> recommendations to ensure user satisfaction and a smooth transition  
> from HTTP's pervasive IPv4 to IPv6 and from TCP to SCTP. The  
> audience for this draft is application developers and content  
> providers. This draft is discussed on the Applications Discuss  
> mailing list, https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss.

Note that its intended status is Standards Track; if it indeed goes in  
that direction we'll need to figure out impact on BIS (if any).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/