Subject: Preference-Applied Response Header

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:32:52 -0500

All,

Its not overly important, but as I was coding this up, I started 
wondering how to categorize this response header in httpbis-22 terms. 
Would this header be considered part of Control Data, Response Context, 
Representation Metadata, or something else?  Right now, I'm leaning 
towards Control Data since Prefer is similar to Expect which is 
categorized as a Control.

And while we're at it, what about these WebDAV response headers:

DAV: similar to Allow => Response Context?

Lock-Token: used in conditional requests => Validator?

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 16:46:32 +0100

> DAV: similar to Allow => Response Context?

Si.

> Lock-Token: used in conditional requests => Validator?

Nope, lock tokens (for the purpose of validation) are passed using "If"...

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:29:16 -0500

> Nope, lock tokens (for the purpose of validation) are passed using "If"...

Unless I'm missing something, doesn't the presence of "if" make a method 
conditional?  The execution of state-changing method on a locked 
resource is conditional upon validation of the correct lock-token in the 
"If" header (or "Lock-Token" in the case of UNLOCK).

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 17:38:15 +0100

> conditional?  The execution of state-changing method on a locked

Yes.

> "If" header (or "Lock-Token" in the case of UNLOCK).

Yes, for "If". No for "Lock-Token"; it's simply a parameter of the 
UNLOCK request (otherwise 422 would be correct when an incorrect 
lock-token is passed to UNLOCK).

Best regards, Julian