Subject: DNS record support and draft-lear-httpbis-svcinfo-rr

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:59:49 +0100

Hi,

If we are going to go forward with this record, it would be helpful to
have some understanding the demand for it.  There are really two driving
factors, and perhaps they are best split:

1.  Removing a roundtrip from the protocol exchange.

2.  Ability to reference different protocols, such as SCTP / UDP

Perhaps people can indicate if either of these are attractive enough to
be interesting to implement?

Thanks,

Eliot

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:42:48 -0400

Hi, Eliot - I suspect you expect me to be taking a larger interest in
this draft.

And indeed it is trying to solve an important problem, and indeed when
the is a http/2 draft marked for implementation, and when I have that
implementation, I hope to experiment with a DNS method to identify
servers. Upgrade isn't something I plan to implement which makes this
more important.

So let's keep that door open.

But this stage of the working group probably isn't the right place to
be standardizing something that nobody has any running code or
experience with. That's putting the cart before the horse. To the
extent that the design space needs to be aware of it, that's totally
cool.

I hope that explains why I'm interested in the work more than the
actual draft or wg process for it and I am certainly grateful for the
thought you've given the matter and the time it has taken to write it
down.

-P

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:26:16 +0100

> Hi, Eliot - I suspect you expect me to be taking a larger interest in

Right, but not exclusively.  The work would have to be supported by others.
> So let's keep that door open.

Ok.

> extent that the design space needs to be aware of it, that's totally

I don't think there's a hurry to do this, but neither do I want to waste
my time developing a draft for which there is little interest.  Doing a
server implementation is relatively easy, and probably so is the client
implementation to, do be fair.  I just don't happen to have a browser
client.

> thought you've given the matter and the time it has taken to write it
Thanks for that.

Eliot