Subject: HTTP/1.1: They're done.

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 22:09:10 -0400

Just a quick note -

The revision of HTTP/1.1’s specification, obsoleting RFC2616, is complete.

See:
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230 - Message Syntax and Routing
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231 - Semantics and Content
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7232 - Conditional Requests
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7233 - Range Requests
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7234 - Caching
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7235 - Authentication

Along with the related documents:
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7236 - Authentication Scheme Registrations
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7237 - Method Registrations

Thanks to everyone who has commented upon, reviewed and otherwise contributed to them over this nearly seven-year(!) effort.

Special thanks to our Area Directors over the years: Lisa Dusseault, Alexey Melnikov, Peter Saint-Andre and Barry Leiba, along with Yves Lafon, who helped edit Range Requests.

Finally, please warmly thank both Roy Fielding and Julian Reschke the next time you see them (I believe beer would be appreciated); the amount of effort that they put into these documents is far, far more than they originally signed up for, and they’ve done an excellent job.

Now, onwards to HTTP/2...

P.S. This document set’s completion also has enabled the publication of these related non-WG documents:
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7238 - The Hypertext Transfer Protocol Status Code 308 (Permanent Redirect)
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7239 - Forwarded HTTP Extension
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7240 - Prefer Header for HTTP

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 22:20:09 -0400

Oh! And one more thank you, to Mark Baker for serving as Shepherd for the Caching doc.

Cheers,

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 21:48:52 -0700

CONGRATULATIONS!!

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM, Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Thanks to everyone who has commented upon, reviewed and otherwise
> contributed to them over this nearly seven-year(!) effort.
> >
> > Special thanks to our Area Directors over the years: Lisa Dusseault,
> Alexey Melnikov, Peter Saint-Andre and Barry Leiba, along with Yves Lafon,
> who helped edit Range Requests.
> >
> > Finally, please warmly thank both Roy Fielding and Julian Reschke the
> next time you see them (I believe beer would be appreciated); the amount of
> effort that they put into these documents is far, far more than they
> originally signed up for, and they’ve done an excellent job.
> >

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 07:29:20 +0200

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 10:09:10PM -0400, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Just a quick note -
> 
> The revision of HTTP/1.1?s specification, obsoleting RFC2616, is complete.
(...)

Champagne! And huge thanks to our editors for their truly amazing job!

Bye bye 2616 :-)

Willy

---

From: Amos Jeffries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 18:15:43 +1200

Huzzah!

Amos

---

From: Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 19:38:15 +0200

> Bye bye 2616 :-)

But thanks also to 2616 and it's authors for it's long service. It was a
pretty spectacular success no matter what it's short comings are/were.

However, the 723x docs read really well and I'm itching to throw out lots
of unused code paths, clarify others and refer some chronic malcontents to
the new documents :)

thanks

-- 
Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
http://eclipse.org/jetty HTTP, SPDY, Websocket server and client that scales
http://www.webtide.com  advice and support for jetty and cometd.

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 19:57:26 +0200

> pretty spectacular success no matter what it's short comings are/were.

Absolutely!

> of unused code paths, clarify others and refer some chronic malcontents to

In fact I've been used to write/send links to the drafts over the last few
years because they covered interoperability much deeper. In code comments
it's not a problem, but when trying to explain to people what they do wrong,
you have less strength with a link to a draft than with a link to an RFC!

Cheers,
Willy

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 10:21:43 +0200

> CONGRATULATIONS!!

+1!

Congratulations and thanks to all who worked so hard on this effort,
particularly Roy, Julian, and Mark!

Eliot

---

From: Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 13:19:14 +0000

Congratulations!

/Sal

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 19:20:41 +0200

On 2014-06-07 04:09, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> ...

And for those, who live in the current century we also have proper HTML:

http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7230.html
http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7231.html
http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7232.html
http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7233.html
http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7234.html
http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7235.html

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Thomas Fossati <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 18:05:50 +0000

> Finally, please warmly thank both Roy Fielding and Julian Reschke the next time you see them (I believe beer would be appreciated); the amount of effort that they put into these documents is far, f…

Compliments to Roy, Julian, the httpbis WG, and the IETF at large for all the hard work and the remarkable outcome.

PS: Are the xml sources still around?  I’m asking because they used to be very accurately tagged, and having them at hand would make easy to automatically extract the requirements.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 20:51:04 +0200

> PS: Are the xml sources still around?  I’m asking because they used to be very accurately tagged, and having them at hand would make easy to automatically extract the requirements.

They are in the HTTPbis SVN and over here 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/#rfc7230> (and below).

Best regards, Julian