Subject: 401 ("unauthenticated" v.s. "unauthorized")

From: Wenbo Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:25:46 -0700

Just ping the group and see if we may consider renaming 401 as
"unauthenticated", to be exact.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-26#section-2.1

Thanks,
Wenbo

---

From: Grahame Grieve <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 07:39:22 +1000

I think that this an attempt to propose clarification, which is good,
because this is confusing:

The 401 (Unauthorized) status code indicates that the request has not
   been applied because it lacks valid authentication credentials for
   the target resource

A server that receives valid credentials which are not adequate to
   gain access ought to respond with the 403 (Forbidden) status code
   (Section 6.5.3 of [Part2
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-26#ref-Part2>])

There's rather an overlap between those, and consequently quite a lack of

clarity about which should be used when.

Grahame

-- 
-----
http://www.healthintersections.com.au / [email-masked]

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:10:48 +0200

Hi there,

I agree that this requires clarification, but it is too late for RFC 7235.

That being said, it would be good to have a single place for proposed 
future changes. My proposal would be to keep using the SVN Trac instance 
for that.

Best regards, Julian

On 2014-06-03 23:39, Grahame Grieve wrote:
>     (Section 6.5.3 of [Part2  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-26#ref-Part2>])
>
>
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM, Wenbo Zhu <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
> <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Wenbo Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 23:09:40 -0700

> future changes. My proposal would be to keep using the SVN Trac instance
I'd be happy to file a change request for this if there is a link, or
provide more background as needed.

Thanks.

>>     (Section 6.5.3 of [Part2  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/
>> draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-26#ref-Part2>])
>>
>>